Search billions of records on Ancestry.com

Page 241

which, added to the infirmities of his age, led him to think more of such a defection, than he would have done in earlier life, and to apprehend worse effects from it, than really followed. It was such returns for long, faithful, and benevolent efforts, that led him to think, with pious submission, "I would not live always." The last office, which he performed in the house of God, was to administer the communion, when he introduced the present incumbent to his pulpit. This was Sept. 21st, 1805; and he d. Feb. 25th, 1806, and was buried the 28th. His parish voted $100 to purchase mourning for his family. The Rev. Asahel Huntingdon, of Topsfield, preached his funeral sermon. Mr. Frisbie m. Zerviah, the eldest daughter of Captain Samuel Sprague, of Lebanon, Conn. She, being sick only six days, d. Aug. 21st, 1778, . 31 years and 5 months. He m. Mehitable, daughter of the Rev. Moses Hale, of Newbury New Town, June 1st, 1790; who d. April 6th, 1828, . 76. He had children, Mary, Sarah, Levi, Nathaniel, and Mehitable. As to his person, Mr. Frisbie was of light complexion, above the common height, and rather large. As a tribute to his merit, rendered to him by his friend and brother in the ministry here, Dr. Dana, we have the following. "His manner was serious, his conception lively, his expression natural and easy. He was interesting and profitable. He read, thought, and conversed much. His labors were blessed. In his catechizing and visits be was affectionate. He had great tenderness of conscience. The loss to his family and flock is great. The vicinity are greatly bereaved. The Society for Promoting the Gospel have, in him, lost a worthy member. Zion at large will mourn. But to him, it is believed that death is a blessed release."
DAVID TENNEY KIMBALL.

He is son of Daniel and Elizabeth Kimball, inhabitants of Bradford, b. Nov. 23d, 1782. He graduated at Harvard College in 1803; was an assistant in Phillip's Academy, Andover, one year; studied divinity with the Rev. Jonathan French, and was ordained Oct. 8th, 1806.

We now close our account of the ministers, who have labored, and all but one of whom have closed their lives, in the First Church of Ipswich. The doctrines, which they, as well

Page 242

as all the rest of the Congregational ministers of the town, have taught, are those of the Reformation, as adopted by the Assembly at Westminister, in England, and by the churches of Massachusetts in 1680.

FASTS FOR MINISTERS

These have been appointed by the church, and then concurred in by the parish, whenever they were about obtaining a new minister. A similar custom has prevailed in the other churches of this place.

ORDINATION EXPENSES

These, in 1692, were 24; and in 1727, 55 10s. 5d.

SALARY AND SETTLEMENT

1652. The salaries of the ministers, having been together 140, are raised to 160. This, in 1656, was paid, "three parts in wheat and barley, and the fourth in Indian."
1665, 210; and in 1686, 160, for salaries. These, in 1696, were paid one third in money and "the rest in pay."
1704. 150, current money, are voted to Mr. Fitch for the settlement promised him.
1726. Nathaniel Rogers is to have 130 annually for three years, and then 150.
1776. Levi Frisbie has 100 salary.
1806. David T. Kimball has $600, and parish lands, for salary, and $600 settlement.
The various dispositions of a people are often perceived in their conduct about salary engagements. Some appear to think, that they have a right to set very lightly by their contract with a minister, and to treat him as a slave, because they grudgingly pay him a tax. Others act in a very different manner. These, if manifesting kindness, justice, and generosity more to one class of men than to another, do it to the consistent preachers of the Gospel. Such individuals are the lights of a congregation, who strengthen the hands and encourage the

Page 243

heart of their pastor, when dispirited with opposition. They are ready to own and practise the truth, that every people should as punctually and civilly discharge their pecuniary obligations to their ministers, as a good paymaster does his to the merchant, who has fairly sold him merchandise.

PARSONAGE

1656. 100 are voted towards building a house for Mr. Cobbet. This vote occasioned much difficulty, and was at last confirmed by the General Court.
1660. Eight acres of land, by Mile Brook, are ordered for the ministry; to which six more, on the north of the river, are added in 1664.
1731. A lot on Turkey Hill Eighth, is granted by the commoners, to the ministry, on the north of the river. It was afterwards exchanged for land in Bull Brook pasture.
If ever parsonages were needed, and undoubtedly they were, they are in these days of instability for clergymen.

MEETING-HOUSES

There is mention made, in the grants of lands, of a meeting-house as built before 1637. This edifice was probably erected soon after the settlement of the town. Tradition informs us, and circumstances confirm it, that the first house of worship stood on the rise of ground, now occupied by the dwelling-house and barn of the Hon. John Heard. In 1646, Johnson says, "Their meeting-house is a very good prospect to a great part of the town, and beautifully built."
1678. A new house has been recently paid for. Dunton remarked, in 1686, that it was handsomely built.
1700. Another is completed this year, 66 feet long, 60 wide, and 26 stud, for 500 in money and 400 "in pay." - 1702. A clock and dial are purchased for the meeting-house. - 1712. A belfry is made. Before this, a turret had been placed on the top of the roof for the bell.
1749, April 19th. Another is raised and still stands, 63 feet long, 47 wide, and 26 stud. - 1819. The house is furnished with stoves.

Page 244

The same site has served for the last three houses. These all had seats, instead of pews, on the right and left of the broad aisle; one row of them being for adult males, and the other for adult females.

SEATING AND OTHER REGULATIONS OF MEETING-HOUSES

1642. Dogs are forbidden to enter the house on Sabbath and lecture days, on penalty of their owners being fined: This rule was repeated long afterwards.
1663. The Elders and magistrates are to appoint seats for members of the congregation. This custom lasted till 1710, and probably lawyer. It was very difficult, because done according to office and taxes paid, and because many thought they were not placed among so respectable persons, as they should be. Hence it was, that some refused to sit where appointed, and that a fine of 5s. was imposed on any one for sitting a day in any place not designated for him.
1745. Tythingmen prosecuted young and old, who behaved disorderly in time of worship.

BELL

1659. There was one rung at nine o'clock, probably P.M. This, we are told, was given by the Hon. Richard Salstonstall.
1696. It was voted to have another of two hundred pounds from England. This was sold to Marblehead in 1700, and its proceeds went towards the purchasing of one weighing six hundred pounds.
1716. The bell was rung at five o'clock in the morning, from 6th of March.
1769. It was rung at half past twelve at noon, and at nine in the evening.
1827. It began to be rung at twelve for dinner, and has continued to be so.

Page 245

CHURCH CONCERNS

181653, May 18th. The General Court order a letter of thanks to the Church here, for their self-denial in giving up Mr. Norton, so that be might be settled in Boston. But this Church did not so understand the matter.
1655, May 23d. The Legislature appoint a committee to consider the case of Boston and Ipswich about Mr. Norton. The Committee report, that two years have passed since Boston Church desired Ipswich Church to relinquish Mr. Norton; that the question was submitted to a council, who decided, Feb. 1653, that the vote of Ipswich Church, of Feb. 21st, 1653, was understood by themselves to be in the negative, but by Boston Church in the affirmative; that the latter Church sent messengers to the former, to debate the meaning of the vote, and still received for answer, that no permission had been given for him to leave. The Boston Church called a council, and invited messengers from Ipswich. The Council sat Nov. 1653, and advised that Mr. Norton move thither. Hence, the Committee observe, that "troubles are increasing in Ipswich Church, which threaten its dissolution, together with disappointment of Boston Church, and of the country, by losing Mr. Norton, while the two Churches are contending for him." In view of these reasons the General Court order a council of twelve churches to meet here the 2d Tuesday of June. They designate three to represent their desire in the Council that Mr. Norton may continue in Boston. As he was installed next year, the Council appear to have decided as the Legislature wished. This body voted, that the expense of councils, convened for this business both here and at Boston, should be paid out of the Colonial treasury.
1663, Jan. The printed result of the Synod came recommended to the Church by the General Court.
1676, March 9th. A proposal is made to the Church here, by ministers of Boston and this vicinity, to renew covenant, so that God may pardon prevailing sins and remove judgments.
1724, Nov. 27th. The Church had chosen a committee to attend a council at Boston, about advising Mr. Fitch as to his leaving Ipswich for Portsmouth.

Page 246

1746. March 23d. They decide that the sending of their pastor and delegates, to ordain Mr. Cleaveland at Chebacco, was regular.
1782, Oct. They agree to articles respecting their duty to persons who have owned the covenant and who have been baptized in infancy, and other duties to be discharged "at the present day of darkness and delusion."
1783, Aug. 24th. A child, dangerously ill, is baptized at the house of its parents.
1790, Oct. 10th. A woman, unable to go out, is received into the Church at her home, in presence of two deacons and other members.

QUARTERLY FAST

1780, May 30th. The First and South Churches become united with the Chebacco Church in such a fast, which the last Church had observed some years, and which corresponded with the plan, published by a number of ministers in Scotland in 1744. The Church at the Hamlet came into the same union, July 23d, 1780. This fast has been observed to the present time. It was formerly much more fully attended than it has been of late years.

THE MINISTER OF NEW MEADOWS

WILLIAM KNIGHT

Refusing to conform to the injunctions of Ecclesiastical Courts in England, he embarked for Massachusetts, and was received as an inhabitant of Salem in 1636-7. He became freeman in 1638; was granted two hundred acres of land in Ipswich near the farm of Mr. Hubbard. - 1641. He is noticed by Lechford, as a minister residing here. He began to preach at New Meadows and was thus laboring there in 1643. He appears to have been living here in 1673. There is mention of Mr. Knight's farm as late as 1681-2. When he died and who were his family, is not known. He was evidently a conscientious man, and ready to apply his time, talents, and acquirements for the good of his adopted country.

Page 247

SOUTH PARISH

91746, Dec. 2d. Sixty-eight persons of the First Parish agree, as a means of composing differences, to become incorporated and erect a meeting-house on the green, south of the river, and settle Mr. John Walley, if he will, or some other candidate.

SOUTH CHURCH

81747, July 22d. This body is formed by twenty-two males from the First Church. Aug. 7th. They vote unanimously to call Mr. Walley.
Dec. 21st. Voted, that persons having owned the baptismal covenant may have their children baptized. Though this has not been repealed, it has ceased of late years to be acted on.
1765, May 14th. The Church called Joseph Dana to become their pastor, with which the parish concurred the 23d.
1775. The day after Lexington Fight, an agreement was made with the First Church, to observe the following Tuesday, as a season of prayer, "on account of the affecting aspect of the time." Many more meetings of this sort were held during the Revolutionary war, and were fully attended. They were followed with good results, and some members were added to the churches.
1828. There were fifteen male and fifty-five female members.
1833. There were twenty-five male and one hundred and four female members.

MINISTERS OF THE SOUTH CHURCH

JOHN WALLEY
He was son of the Hon. John Walley, of Boston, and was born 1716. He graduated at Harvard College 1734, and was member of the South Church in his native place. He was invited to preach

Page 248

for the First Parish Jan. 1747, which he did for eight months, and then received a call from a large majority of the church and congregation. But the Rev. N. Rogers objected, because Mr. Walley declined exchanging with a preacher, who officiated for a society of seceders in Boston. Hence it was, that the South Parish came off from Mr. Rogers and invited Mr. Walley to become their minister. 1747, Oct. 19th. Mr. Walley, in answering his call, fears his health will not allow him to preach a lecture once in three weeks, as the people desired, besides catechizing the children. He had shortly before informed the Church, that he did not think, that the Bible authorized Ruling Elders, but that he would acquiesce in the choice of such officers, though he wished to be excused from taking part in their ordination. His opinion, thus expressed, prevented the Ruling Elders, who were elected, from being ordained. Nov. 4th. Mr. Walley is ordained and preaches a sermon. 1764, Feb. 8th. He had recently requested a dismission, because he had been sick several years and was unable to perform his duties. His request was granted, and he was regularly dismissed the 22d. 1773, May l3th. He was about being installed at Bolton; whence he took a dismission in 1784, and d. at Roxbury, March 2d. He m. Elizabeth Appleton. In his last will, he says, "I give, as a token of my love, to the South Parish in Ipswich, 13 6s. 8d., the yearly income to be by them given to such persons in the parish, as they shall judge to be the fittest objects of such a charity." Mr. Walley was not above the common height, light complexion, and much pitted with the small-pox. He possessed a good mind, an affectionate and pious heart; was an eloquent writer and speaker.

JOSEPH DANA, D.D.
He was the son of Joseph and Mary Dana: b. at Pomfret, Conn., Nov. 2d, 1742, graduated at Yale College in 1760. Among the scenes of his boyhood, he related, that, his father being a respectable innkeeper, the wolf killed by General Putnam was dragged into the entry of their house, and that he with other children ran up stairs, to look with less dread down upon the animal, which had filled the town with alarm. He preached six months with much acceptance to the South Society in Boston. 1765, Nov. 5th. Having officiated at Ipswich several months, he was ordained. The sermon on

Page 249

this occasion was by Mr. Parsons of Byfield. Dr. Dana entered on the responsible office of pastor, with supreme reliance on divine grace for aid and direction, and with an earnest desire to benefit the people of his charge, as well as others, in their highest interests. In the struggle of our nation for freedom, he prayed, preached, and acted, as the Christian patriot. 1801. Deservedly esteemed as worthy of the honor, he was made Doctor of Divinity at Harvard College. In person he was of about the common height and size, quick and active in his movements, of dark complexion, with marked and intelligent features. Though his voice was not strong, yet it was clear, and, in religious performances, it was accompanied with attractive fervor. In his manners he was kind, accessible, and gentlemanly. In morals he was exact, being diligent in business, punctual in engagements, refined and improving in conversation, and upright in his actions. His intellectual endowments were of a high order and richly improved with attainments in literature and theology. His style of writing was strong, lucid, and sententious. His piety was the same everywhere and at all times, bearing the impress of the Holy Spirit, and appearing as a sacrifice, acceptable in the sight of Deity. Thus constituted and sanctified by his Maker, Dr. Dana planned, purposed, and labored, during a long ministry, as not his own, but bought with a price; as constantly liable to be summoned before the bar of perfect justice and mercy. It was often his expressed desire, that he might not outlive his usefulness. His prayer in this respect was signally granted. Very few, of his advanced age, exhibited so much intellectual and physical power to the last. During his ministry many were added to his church, who went before him to another world in the peaceful hope of eternal life. During this protracted period, he, as living in a world of fallen beings, was called to experience consolations and trials peculiar to the pastoral office. They, who knew most of Dr. Dana, were most ready to acknowledge him as a man of God. On a special occasion his parish gave the following testimony in reference to him. "We consider it our duty explicitly to bear testimony to the world, of our high opinion of the exemplary piety and faithfulness, with which our Rev. Pastor has adorned the profession of a Gospel minister, with us and our fathers, for more than forty years, and of our belief that, through the whole course of his useful life, the Christian character has appeared." Thus approved by intelligent

Page 250

and worthy men, the time came for him to realize the promises of his Redeemer. He was seized with a lung fever, and in four days d. Nov. 16th, 1827. He was buried on the 19th, from his meeting-house, when the Rev. Robert Crowell preached an appropriate discourse. Dr. Dana m. Mary Staniford, the daughter-in-law of the Rev. N. Rogers. She d. May 14th, 1772, in her twenty-eighth year. He m. Mary, daughter of Samuel Turner, of Boston. She d. April 13th, 1803, in her fifty-third year. Professor Tappan preached her funeral sermon. He m. Elizabeth, widow of the Rev. Ebenezer Bradford, of Rowley, Dec., 1803. She d. in 1824, . about 75. His children were Mary, Joseph, and Daniel, of the first wife; Elizabeth, Samuel, Sarah, Abigail, and Anna, of the second.
He published the following productions by request.
1782. Two discourses, from Proverbs xv. 8, on the sacrifice of the wicked.
1794. Sermon at the Ordination of the Rev. Daniel Dana.
1795. Sermon at the Ordination of the Rev. David Smith.
1795. National Thanksgiving Sermon.
1799. Two Sermons on the National Fast.
1800. Discourse on the Death of Washington.
1801. Sermon before the Convention of Ministers.
1801. Sermon at the Ordination of the Rev. Samuel Dana.
1804. Sermon before the Merrimack Humane Society.
1806. Lecture on Baptism.
1807. Sermon on the Worth and Loss of the Soul.
1807. Integrity Explained and Recommended, before an Association.
1808. The Question of War with Great Britain.
1808. Sermon at the ordination of the Rev. Joshua Dodge.
1810. Two Sermons on a special occasion.
1812. Sermon on the Calamity at Richmond.
1812. Sermon before the Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge.
1816. Sermon before Essex Auxiliary Education Society.
1818. Sermon on the Death of the Rev. Dr. McKean.
1820. Thanksgiving Sermon.
1825. Sermon on the Sixtieth Anniversary of his Ordination.
1827. Discourse on the Fifty-first Anniversary of American Independence.

Page 251

To these may be added:
1803. Charge at the Ordination of the Rev. Joseph Emerson.
1806. Right hand of Fellowship at the Ordination of the Rev. D. T. Kimball.
1815. Charge at the Ordination of Messrs. Smith and Kingsbury, Missionaries.
1826. Charge at the Ordination of the Rev. Daniel Fitz.
"Also, many communications in periodical publications, among which are hymns and other writings, both in poetry and prose."

DANIEL FITZ
He is son of Currier and Sarah Fitz, b. at Sandown, N.H., May 28th, 1795, and removed, in early infancy, with his parents to Derry. He graduated at Dartmouth College in 1818, was an assistant in Derry Academy one quarter, taught an Academy at Salisbury, N.H., two years, and was then invited to take charge of Marblehead Academy, where he remained a year and a half. He entered Andover Theological Seminary in 1822, and graduated in 1825. He was ordained Colleague with Dr. Dana, June 28th, 1826.

SALARIES AND SETTLEMENTS

1747. John Walley has 150 salary, and 1200 0. T. settlement.
1765. Joseph Dana has 100 L. M. salary, and 160 settlement.
Daniel Fitz has $650 salary.

MEETING HOUSE

1747, Nov. 4th. This was raised, being forty feet wide, sixty long, and twenty-five stud. It had two stoves in 1819.

PARSONAGE

431731, May 14th. The Commoners vote, that the

Page 252

supernumerary lots in South Eighth, be for the use of the ministry on the south side of the river. This has been sold, and the interest of the proceeds aids to meet parish expenses.

LINE BROOK PARISH

71742, Dec. 2d. A committee report, that the West End do not become a parish, but keep up preaching among them.
1744, April 12th. Voted, that they be set off.
151746, June 5th. The General Court allow some of West Ipswich and of Rowley to become a distinct parish, who vote, Jan. 27th, 1747, to be called Line Brook Parish.

LINE BROOK CHURCH

161749, Nov. 15th. Sixteen males sign a covenant and are formed into a Church. This Church had Ruling Elders till after 1757.
1823. There were only two female members.
1833. There were fourteen males and twenty females.

MEETING-HOUSE

1744. A house had been erected. A vote is passed in 1747, to have it finished. It was near the burying-ground. The old one is pulled down and another built, on the present spot, in 1828.

PARSONAGE

1790, Nov. 15th. The town grant Bull Brook towards the support of the ministry, at Line Brook.

Page 253

MINISTERS OF LINE BROOK CHURCH

GEORGE LESSLIE
He was son of James, who came from Scotland and settled at Topsfield, when George was two years old. He graduated at Harvard College 1748, joined Topsfleld Church, March 5th, 1749, and appears to have studied his profession there with the Rev. John Emerson. Having preached at Line Brook one year, he was ordained Nov. 15th, 1749. He preached at the ordination of Samuel Perley, Jan 31st, 1765. His sermon was printed. 1778, July 2d. He attends Ezra Ross to the gallows, one of his parishioners, executed at Worcester for the murder of Mr. Spooner. 1779, Oct. 22d. He asked a dismission, because he had lost by having his salary in paper money, and had not enough to support his fanuly. Nov. 30th. He was dismissed by advice of Council, who convened the 4th. 1780, July 12th. He was installed at Washington, New Hampshire. He m. Hepzibah, youngest daughter of Dea. Jonathan Burpee, Oct. 26th, 1756. His children were, George, David, James, Jonathan, William, Hepzibah, Joseph, and Mehitable. He d. Sept. 11th, 1800, . 72. He fitted many pupils for College, and others for the ministry. He had a strong mind, was a noted scholar, and a pious minister.

GILBERT TENNANT WILLIAMS
He was son of the Rev. Simon Williams of Windham, New Hampshire, was b. Oct. 8th, 1761, at Fogg's Manor, New Jersey, graduated at Dartmouth College 1784, and studied divinity under Mr. Murray of Newbury. 1788, Dec. 23d. He was invited to preach six months at Line Brook, and was ordained the first Wednesday of August. His house was in Rowley. 1813, May 6th. As his people were few and considered themselves unable to afford him a competent support, he took a dismission. He preached a Farewell Sermon on this occasion, which was printed.
1814, June 1st. He was installed at Newbury New Town. Having had a shock of the palsy, he left his people Sept. 1821, and d. at Framingham, Sept. 24th, 1824. He m. Martha Morrison of Windham, who now resides in Boston. His children were, Simon Tennant, Martha, Samuel Morrison,

Page 254

John Adams, and Constant Floyd. He was of about the common height and of a florid complexion. He was a man of integrity, whose motives and exertions were to benefit his fellow beings.

DAVID TULLAR
He was the son of John and Ann Tullar, b. at Shrewsbury, Conn., Sept. 22d, 1748, was brought up in Sheffield, Mass., and graduated at Yale College 1774. Soon after this he kept school at Sheffield six months. When the militia were mustered to invest Boston, he marched thither as a Lieutenant. When the militia were disbanded several weeks after, he returned home and began to study divinity. This he did under Drs. Bellamy and West. Being licensed, he preached at Windsor, Vermont, where he was ordained 1779. He was dismissed, on account of ill health, June, 1784. He was installed at Milford, Connecticut, Nov. 17th of the same year. Leaving this field of labor, he was installed Dec. 7th, 1803, at Rowley. He took leave of his people here 1810; preached eight months at Williamstown, where he received a call, but declined it, and thence went to Genessee. Here he preached ten years in many destitute places, as a missionary at his own charges. Finding the duties too oppressive for his health, he came back to Rowley, where he still had faithful friends. Though aged, he employed his time in trying to build up the Society at Line Brook, whose church had become very nigh extinct. He entered on this service 1823, and continued in it till 1830. His endeavours for this period were so divinely blessed, that he was instrumental in gathering a scattered flock, and adding strength to its church, and thus preserved them from the dissolution, to which they appeared to be fast tending. While Mr. Tullar was in Connecticut, he had students with him to prepare for college, and also for the ministry. His labors in several places were accompanied with revivals of religion. He m. Charity Fellows of Sheffield, Massachusetts, Sept. 22d, 1779. He has had no children. Above the common height, and of a majestic appearance, he still discovers traits of the sound mind and of the thorough theological acquisitions which he was justly accounted to possess.

Page 255

MOSES WELSH
He was born in Plaistow, New Hampshire in 1784, and was the son of Col. Joseph Welsh. He is about forty-seven years of age. He taught school, and became member of the first class, who went to the Bangor Theological Institution. While here, he had a commission as missionary in Maine, where he preached several years. Thence he came to Amesbury, where he statedly supplied five years, and then two years at Plaistow, his native place, where he was installed, and coutinued five years more. His health being feeble, he took leave of his people, loth to part with him, and came to Ipswich, in hopes a change of air would help his complaints. He engaged to preach for Line Brook Parish Jan. 1st, 1831. He has continued, with some interruption, to labor successfully with them.

SALARY AND SETTLEMENT

1749. George Lesslie, 100 N. T. and twelve cords of wood salary, and 700 0. T. settlement.
1789. G. T. Williams, 100 L. M. salary and parish land.
Moses Welsh has $300.

BAPTIST SOCIETY

This was formed Feb. 1806. Their first preacher was H. Pottle. They occupied the building where the Post-Office now is. Their Church contained sixty~eight communicants in 1813. A secession took place from the Church, because discipline was not exercised, June 4th, 1816. This secession was justified by a Council the 16th of July. The seceders formed themselves into a hew Church, Aug. 27th, and met in the building now used by the Bank. William Taylor was their first minister. He continued with them till Aug. 1818, and took his dismission, because his people were few and unable to support him. When he left the Church, it contained thirty members. Thus destitute of one to guide them, they continued to hold meetings and have the sacrament administered occasionally, till Aug. 1820. From this time, they omitted assembling till 1823. In the course of

Page 256

this year, they dissolved. The original Society of Baptists continued, after the secession from them, only one year.

METHODIST SOCIETY

1817. The remainder of the first Baptist Society and some Methodists began to have preaching of the latter denomination. They still worshipped in what was formerly a woollen factory. They gradually enlarged, and were organized March, 1822. As a Society of Methodists, they built their present meeting-house in 1824. Aaron Wait was the first minister with them, 1822-1824; Mr. Josselyn 1825; Mr. Paine 1826, 1827; J.T. Burril 1828-1833; Mr. Bliss 1829; Jacob Sanborn 1830; Enoch Mudge 1831; Mr. Kibby 1832. The church has 150 communicants.

UNITARIAN SOCIETY

1830, April 28th. Several persons leave the First Parish, having recently formed themselves into a Society. They had preaching a part of the time, on the Sabbath, in the Court-House. Their meeting-house was dedicated Oct. 23d, 1833.

RESTRICTIONS AND FINES ON ACCOUNT OF RELIGION

181637, Nov. 20th. William Foster and Samuel Sherman, for favoring Mrs. Hutchinson's views, are ordered to give up their arms to William Bartholomew before the 30th.
1638, Sept. William Foster is required to leave the jurisdiction of Massachusetts.
1643, Nov. 3d. John Wicks, a Gortonist, brought with others by military force from Providence, is sentenced to confinement and hard labor at Ipswich.
1675, March 30th. Roger and Lucretia Derby are fined for absence from meeting on the Sabbath.
1677, Nov. 6th. They are similarly fined. As they were respectable persons, it is likely that they did not attend Congregational worship, on account of some religious scruples.

Page 257

CHEBACCO PARISH

11The people here, having applied to the town for leave to employ a preacher Feb. 1677, who soon came among them, and was Jeremiah Shepard; and having met with considerable opposition from the First Parish in retaining him, are freed by a vote of the town from paying ministerial taxes to that parish, and are allowed to hire preaching on their own account, Dec. 10th, 1679.

MEETING-HOUSE

As the society at Chebacco had worshipped in a private house, and could not get consent from the First Pansh to build a meeting-house, some women, without the knowledge of their husbands, as the Record says, and by the advice of a few men, went to other towns, and obtained help to raise a house of worship, March, 1679. Two men and three women were prosecuted for this act. May 28th. The Province Council order these individuals to confess, that such conduct was irregular at the next Quarterly Court in Salem, and thus be excused. The sanctuary, so erected, may be truly said to have been built "in troublous times." It stood to the northward of the present one, on the road leading to Ipswich.
1717, Oct. 11th. Voted to build a new house. It had a turret on the top, and a seat for Ruling Elders.

BELL

1713, Oct. Measures are taken to buy one of 160 lbs.
1740. A turret is to be built on the middle top of the meeting~house for a bell.

PARSONAGE

1679, Dec. 2d. The town grant two acres for the minister's house, and, 1680, Feb. 24th, one or two more.
1686, March 23d. They vote, that the ten acres, granted the last year for the nimistry, be laid out, and ten more for Mr. Wise.

CHURCH

1681, Aug. 31st. The parish vote to have a church gathered among them.
From Oct. 29th, 1727, to Oct. 13th, 1728, there were ninety-four admitted to communion.
Page 258

1746, May 20th and June 10th. A council, composed of pastors and delegates from nine churches, meet here. The majority of them decide that the secession of certain brethren from Mr. Pickering's ministry, is unjustifiable. The result of this council was long, able, and interesting.
1747, April 7th. The Church write to the First Church, that they intend to deal with them in the third way of discipline, for taking part in the ordination of Mr. Cleaveland. Dec. 31st. They approve and empower a committee to have printed "A Letter from the Second Church to their Separatists Brethren, in defence of their deceased Pastor and Themselves."

MINISTERS OF CHEBACCO PARISH

JEREMIAH SHEPARD
He was the son of the Rev. Thomas Shepard of Cambridge, b. Aug. 11th, 1648, and graduated at Harvard College 1669. He preached a considerable time at Rowley, where many were strongly desirous to have him ordained. A chief bar to his being ordained there, as well as at Chebacco, was, that he had not united with any Church. 1677. He came to labor among the people here. They were much attached to him and would have had him for their pastor, had they been permitted by the First Church and the General Court. He left by advice of a committee from the Legislature, May 22d, 1680. After this, he became an eminent minister of Lynn, and died there June 2d, 1720, . 72.

JOHN WISE
He was son of Joseph Wise, of Roxbury, baptized Aug. 15th, 1652, and graduated at Harvard College 1673. 1680. As highly recommended by the General Court, he came to preach here, and was ordained Aug. 12th, 1683. 1687, Aug. 23d. He advised the town not to comply with Sir Edmund Andros's order for raising a Province Tax, as being contrary to Charter rights. For this he was tried in Boston, imprisoned, fined heavily, and deposed from his ministry. Having, with other principal men of the town, who acted with him, made a concession for such opposition to the government, he appears to have been permitted to resume his parochial duties. 1689, May 9th. Mr. Wise was one of two Representatives from Ipswich, to meet in Boston and help re-organize the former Legislature after the administration

Page 259

of Andros was overthrown. Dec. 24th. He was appointed with the selectmen, by the town, to draw up, according to the order of the General Court, a narrative of the late Governor's treatment towards himself, and other Ipswich inhabitants. This narrative, like others of the kind, was forwarded to England to substantiate charges against Andros, for mal-administration. About this time, Mr. Wise deemed it his duty to prosecute Mr. Dudley, Chief Justice, for refusing him the privileges of the habeas corpus act, while he was imprisoned.
201690, July 5th. He is desired by the Legislature to go as Chaplain in the expedition against Canada. He went. When, in 1705, it was recommended by the Boston clergymen, as an association, to other similar bodies, to consider the proposal for having each association so connected with its Churches, as to form a Standing Council, to which ecclesiastical difficulties might be referred, Mr. Wise was active to prevent such a measure. On this occasion, he wrote "The Church's Quarrel Espoused," printed 1710. About 1717, he published " A Vindication of the Government of the New England Churches." Both of these productions are deservedly standard works in ecclesiastical concerns. 1721. He was among the few philanthropists, who came forward to advocate the inoculation for the small-pox, against deep-rooted prejudices and general reproaches. During his ministry, there was a remarkable coincidence between one of his prayers and the result. A boat's crew from his parish were captured by pirates on our coast. When beseeching the Lord, on a Sabbath morning, to give them speedy deliverance, he said, "Great God! if there is no other way, may they rise and butcher their enemies." The next day the men arrived and related, that, the very morning before, they had attacked the pirates and killed them. In person, Mr. Wise was of a majestic form, and of great muscular strength and activity. When young and before his ordination, he was accounted a superior wrestler. Such repute was much more respectable in his day than in ours. Some years after his settlement at Chebacco, Capt. John Chandler of Andover, who had found no champion able to throw him, came down on purpose to prevail with Mr. Wise to try strength with him. After much objection, he consented to

Page 260

take hold once with the Captain. The result was, that the Andover gentleman found himself, in a few minutes, on his back, and was compelled to own himself beaten. The intellectual power of Mr. Wise compared well with his physical power. His mind was of the first rank. His classical and theological attainments were eminent. His composition was rich in thought, purity, learning, and piety. His oratory was eloquent. His services were often desired and given on Church councils. "In the beginning of his last sickness, he observed to a brother in the gospel, that he had been a man of contention; but, as the state of the Church made it necessary, he could say upon the most serious review of his conduct, that he had fought a good fight." He died as he had lived, in the faith of the Son of God. This occurred April 8th, 1725. An exchange of worlds to him, was, so far as human perception can discern, an entrance upon a higher, more active, and blessed state of existence. It was truly inscribed on his tomb-stone, "For talents, piety, and learning, he shone as a star of the first magnitude." He left a wife, Abigail, and children, Jeremiah, Lucy, Joseph, Ammi Ruhami, Mary, Henry, and John.

THEOPHILUS PICKERING
His parents were John and Sarah, of Salem, b. Sept. 28th, 1700. He was graduated at Harvard College 1719. March 29th, 1725, he was invited to assist Mr. Wise, who was sick. Having preached acceptably here, he was ordained Oct. 13th, 1727. The earthquake of this year was immediately followed by a powerful reformation among his people, which called for his abundant labors. A usual degree of harmony prevailed between him and his congregation till 1742. At this time the revival spirit, as promoted by Whitefield, was infused into some individuals of Chebacco. Such persons were for hearing other ministers, than those approved by their pastor, and for employing other means of grace than those he thought best to use. The fact was, that he was apprehensive lest the new measures of Whitefleld should result in the unnecessary division of churches and congregations. Hence, like some of his clerical brethren in the vicinity, he set himself against the exertions which part of his parish made to introduce such measures among themselves. This, of course, brought on him their suspicion, that he was unfriendly to revivals. But he

Page 261

contended that he was heartily favorable to revivals, as conducted by the New England ministers. The persons, whom he so withstood, were countenanced by the Rev. N. Rogers and his brother Daniel, of Ipswich. This produced a coldness between Mr. Pickering and the Messrs. Rogers, which was followed by several letters between them on the points of their disagreement. 1742, Aug. 9th, he writes to the Rev. James Davenport, of Long Island, then at Mr. Rogers' of Ipswich. He desires Mr. Davenport not to come and preach among his people, because he considered his late conduct as very irregular. 1745, Feb. 12th, he sends a letter to Mr. Whitefield, stating the reasons why he had declined having him preach for his people, when he was recently at Chebacco. 1747. Mr. Pickering publishes " A Bad Omen to the Churches in the Instance of Mr. John Cleaveland's Ordination over a Separation in Chebacco Parish." He was indefatigable to prevent this ordination, but without avail. While preparing to answer a publication, called "A Plain Narrative by the New Church," he was laken sick, and died Oct. 7th, 1747. What he thus left unaccomplished, his Church did for him after his decease. He was not married. From the misapprehension which he appears to have cherished, as to the results of the Whitefield measures for promoting religion, the impression has been on many minds, that he was not friendly to orthodox doctrines. But the majority of an Evangelical Council decided differently, the minority being those with whom he had a controversy for favoring the brethren, who seceded from him. Such a majority, in reference to one charge, brought against him 1746, namely, "Your not clearing up the doctrines of grace, as you ought," say, "We have not been able to discern any such defects in said Pastor's discourses." Though the latter part of Mr. Pickering's ministry was much embittered by difficulty with the dissatisfied among his people, yet he had warm and valuable friends to comfort him. He was gifted with a mechanical genius, which, by way of exercise, he often indulged. His mental abilities were of no ordinary kind. He had a stroug taste for learning, which he commendably cultivated. As a logician, few were before him. He was well versed in Theology. He held the pen of an able and ready writer. His ministry was uncommonly successful. Nearly two hundred were added to his Church, while he was their pastor. Sumnioned from his gospel field of labor, be

Page 262

departed in the hope of acceptance with Him, who is not slack concerning his promise.

NEHEMIAH PORTER
His father and mother were Nehemiah and Hannah, of the Hamlet. He was b. March 20th, 1720, and graduated at Harvard College 1745. He was ordained as successor to Mr. Pickering, Jan. 3d, 1750. For a considerable period, he lived in peace with his people. At length, however, difficulty prevailed. This occasioned several councils. Referees being chosen by Mr. Porter and his opponents, they met April 29th, 1766, to hear their respective pleas. They decide, May 3d, that it is best for him to have his connection with them dissolved, if his Parish pay him 340 L. M. One reason why this sum was so Jarge was, that his regular salary had not been paid up. In June, he takes his dismission. He soon went down to Cape Canso, where some emigrants from Ipswich resided, and preached there two or three years. After this, he became installed at Ashfield, where he died Feb. 29th, 1820, nearly 100 years old. He m. Rebecca, daughter of the Rev. John Chipman of Beverly. She d. Oct. 28th, 1763, . 36. His second wife was Elizabeth Nowell, of Boston, who survived him. He had several children. For a more particular account, of him, see the "Boston Recorder," No.33, Vol. V.

SALARIES

1678. Jeremiah Shepard, 60.
1681. John Wise, 60, two thirds of it in produce, and the rest in money, with the strangers' contributions, and 40 cords of wood, 8 loads of marsh hay, and ten acres of land.
1725. Theophilus Pickering, 120, to rise or fall, as the paper money does, - parsonage and contribution of strangers.
1749. Nehemiah Porter 500, in paper currency, and the parsonage.

FOURTH CHURCH

1744, Sept. 22d. The brethren who formed this Church, say, that Mr. Pickering having declined to allow them a Council, "we then tried the third way of communion, got

Page 263

the pastor, Mr. Wigglesworth, of the Third Church, to call on him, and he renewed the visit with two other neighbouring pastors; but Mr. Pickering did not agree with their proposals. Mr. Wigglesworth then laid the subject before his Church, and they voted a letter to Mr. Pickering." 1745, March 18th. Mr. Pickering offers the aggrieved brethren a mutual Council, as advised by the Third Church. Aug. This Church reprove the Second Churclh, because they had not proceeded to call a Council. The Second Church were about to comply, but delayed, as Mr. Pickering made proposals for leaving them. 1746, Jan. 13th. Sixteen members of Mr. Pickering's Church vote to secede and form themselves into another Society, and, except two of them, to have preaching, if he do not leave as they expect. May 20th. The two separate Churches of Boston and Plainfield meet here by their representatives, and advise the brethren to become a Church. The covenant is signed on the 22d, by nine brethren, who were sometimes called "New Lights." Thirty-two females are united with them. 1747. Twenty-four were admitted. 1750, Oct. 28th. Voted, that the pastor and six delegates, according to invitation of the Rev. Jonathan Parsons, of Newbury, go thither and see "on what terms a coalition may be made with the Presbytery." This subject was under consideration several months, but was decided in the negative. 1755. More than usual additions. 1764. Eighty-four become members.

SIXTH PARISH

1746, Jan. 20th. This is formed out of the Second.
1748, Feb. 8th. They petition the General Court for incorporation. They were, as a singular fact, connected with the Fourth Church.

MEETING-HOUSE

1752. This was erected where the present one stands.

MINISTER OF THE SIXTH PARISH

JOHN CLEAVELAND
His father and mother were Josiah and Abigail. He was b. at Canterbury, Conn., April 11th, 1722. He entered Yale College 1741, and continued here till a few weeks before the

Page 264

close of his senior year. Then he was required by the Government to leave, because he went to hear, in the May vacation, a preacher who was a follower of Whitefield, and who officiated where his parents worshipped. Subsequently convinced, that they had wronged Mr. Cleaveland, the College granted him a degree, and had him recorded among the graduates of his class in 1764. Previously to his settlement here, he preached for a new Society in Boston, who were called Separatists, which was a common term then; because they withdrew from Churches there, who protested against the means used by the Rev. James Davenport for promoting religion, while he was on a visit among them. Mr. Cleaveland was invited by that Society to become their Pastor; but he declined. 1746, Dec. 17th. Having preached "formerly and latterly," for the New Church at Chebacco, he receives a call from them, and is ordained Feb. 25th, 1747. 1747, Sept. 15th. He appears to have written "A Plain Narrative" of this date, which defends his people and himself against the charge of irregularity, as contained in Mr. Pickering's "Bad Omen." 1748. "Chebacco Narrative Rescued from the Charge of Falsehood and Partiality," bears marks of coming from the same pen. These, as well as the subsequent productions of his, were all printed. 1758. He was Chaplain of a Provincial Regiment at Ticonderoga, and was on the battle-ground when Lord Howe was killed. 1759. He serves in a like capacity, in an expedition against the French, at Louisburg. 1763. He composes an Essay on Important Principles in Christianity, with Animadversions on Dr. Jonathan Mayhew's Thanksgiving Sermon. 1765. He replies to the same clergyman. He writes a Justification of his Church from the strictures of the Rev. S. Wigglesworth, of the Hamlet, and the Rev. Richard Jaques of Gloucester. 1767. His Narrative of a Revival of Religion among his peopie in 1763 and 1764. 1775. He is chaplain of a regiment at Cambridge; and 1776, a short campaign in New York. 1776. An Attempt to nip in the bud the Unscriptural Doctrine of Universal Salvation. 1784. A Dissertation in support of Infant Baptism. His Defence of the Result of a late Council, against Dr. Whitaker's Remarks. 1785. A Sermon at the Ordination of his Son at Stoneham. Mr. Cleaveland also wrote many political pieces for newspapers, before and during the revolutionary contest. He m. Mary,

Page 265

the only daughter of Parker Dodge of the Hamlet, July 31st, 1747. She died of a cancer April 11th, 1768, in her 46th year. He m. Mary, widow of Capt. John Foster, of Manchester, Sept. 1769. She d. at Topsfleld April 19th, 1810, in her 80th year. An address was delivered at her interment in Chebacco by the Rev. Asahel Huntingdon. Mr. Cleaveland's children were, Mary, John, Parker, Ebenezer, Elizabeth, Nehemiah, and Abigail. After a short and painful sickness he d. April 22d, 1799. The Rev. Joseph Dana preached his funeral sermon from 2 Kings, ii. 12. This parish voted $80 for the expenses of his burial.
Mr. Cleaveland had blue eyes and a florid complexion, was near six feet tall, very erect, of great muscular strength and activity. Only a fortnight before his decease he preached with much animation and walked with great elasticity. In his domestic, social, and parochial relations, he was kind, faithful, and magnanimous. He had a large share of physical and moral courage, tempered with the wisdom, which yields a point, when duty calls. He had a nature capable of combating and overcoming perils and difficulties. Few men have had more trials, than he had, at the outset of their ministry and few have come out of them so commendably as he did. His opposers in high places were constrained to acknowledge his integrity and worth. So steadily and prudently did he pursue his course, that he was instrumental to the union, which took place between the two Societies of Chebacco, which had been long and bitterly at variance. His intellectual abilities were superior and well improved. He was a scribe well instructed in the things which pertain to the kingdom of God. His style of composition was nervous and logical. He was not much in the habit of writing his sermons. Still he did not come to the sanctuary without beaten oil. He delivered his discourses with much previous thought and arrangement. Aged people, who remember his performances, speak of him as one of the most popular and powerful preachers of the many whom they heard. His voice was heavy and had great compass. His utterance was rapid, yet very distinct. He had a great degree of natural and expressive gesture when speaking. Like other clergymen of his day, he was anxious lest European infidelity should contaminate our Republic, and he strove hard to prevent so pernicious an occurrence. His love of country was such, that he perseveringly and efficiently sought its highest

Page 266

welfare, both temporal and spiritual. To his people, he was "an ascension gift" indeed. He was divinely enabled to turn many of them to ways of wisdom and salvation. The ruling motive which most shone out from his soul, amid the various and untiring efforts of a protracted ministry, was to please God and bring honor to his great name. Thus it came to pass, that the promises of Revelation, which he often held up to others, were the staff on which he leaned when summoned to pass through the valley and shadow of death. Dr. Nathaniel Emmons truly said of him, that he "was a pattern of piety and an ornament to the Christian and clerical profession. He stood high among the first of faithful preachers of the gospel, and zealous promoters of the cause of Christ and the good of souls."

QUARTERLY FAST

1760. The Church agree to spend one day every quarter of a year in Congregational Fasting and Prayer, for the outpouring of God's Spirit upon them and all nations.

SALARY

Till the union of the two Societies in Chebacco, Mr. Cleaveland had his salary by subscription, and afterwards he had about 65 and the parsonage.

UNION OF THE SECOND AND FOURTH CHURCHES

After many years of separation, in a part of which, the intercourse of neighbours and friends was embittered by jealousy, disaffection, and difference, which commonly arise between rival societies, such a union was formed to the great gratification of every well wisher to the peace and welfare of the community. This took place by advice of Council Oct. 26th, 1774, when the two Churches agree to be called the Second Church. The two Parishes accepted this result and assumed the name of the Second Parish.

CHEBACCO PARISH - SECOND CHURCH

This Church, united with the Fourth, and assuming its original name, as previously stated, enjoyed a peace within its borders, to which it had long been a stranger. The last of its

Page 267

Ruling Elders (such officers having been elected soon after Mr. Cleaveland's ordination) was Eleazer Craft, who died 1790.

MINISTERS OF CHEBACCO PARISH - SECOND CHURCH

JOSIAH WEBSTER
His parents were Nathan and Elizabeth Webster. He was b. at Chester, N.H., Jan. 16th, 1772; graduated at Dartmouth College, 1798; ordained at Chebacco, Nov. 13th, 1799, when the Rev. S. Peabody of Atkinson, N. H., preached, with whom he had studied divinity. He took a dismission July 23d, 1806, and was installed at Hampton, N. H., June 8th, 1808, where he has enjoyed a successful ministry.

THOMAS HOLT
His father and mother were Daniel and Mary Holt. He was b. at Meriden, Conn., Nov. 9th, 1762; graduated at Yale College 1784; resided there most of 1785, and pursued his studies of divinity under Professor Samuel Wales, and afterwards with Benjamin Trumbull, D. D., of North Haven. He was ordained at Hardwick, June 25th, 1789; and closed his connexion with the Church there, March 27th, 1805. He was installed at Chebacco Jan. 25th, 1809, and took his dismission April 20th, 1813. He has resided since on a farm in Hardwick.

ROBERT CROWELL
His parents were Capt. Samuel and Mrs. Lydia Crowell. He was b. in Salem, Dec. 9th, 1787; graduated at Dartmouth 1811; taught school one year in his native place; studied his profession with Samuel Worcester, D. D.; after having preached at Chebacco about twelve months, he was ordained Aug. 10th, 1814.

MEETING-HOUSE

1792, Jan. 5th. After many proposals, it is agreed to build a meeting-house, near where the Old South one stood. It was raised in June. A vote was passed to furnish it with Stoves, Dec. 16th, 1818.

Page 268

SALARY; - SETTLEMENT

1799. Josiah Webster, $334 and parsonage for salary $500 settlement.
1804. He had $100 added to his salary.
1808. Thomas Holt, $500 and parsonage for salary.
1814. Robert Crowell, $600 and eight cords of wood for the same.

CHRISTIAN SOCIETY

This was formed April 5th, 1808. Their house was erected 1809. They have not had a constant supply of preachers. At first, Mr. John Rand officiated in the ministry among them about seven years.

UNIVERSALIST SOCIETY

This was formed April 28th, 1829.

ESSEX

INCORPORATION

After several attempts on the part of the people at Chebacco to be set off from Ipswich, they became incorporated Feb. 5th, 1819, and took the name of Essex. As an indemnity, on account of the poor and other things, this town paid $3000, besides $2270, their share in public property, for this privilege to the parent-town.

BOUNDARIES EXTENT

Essex is bounded on the North by Ipswich, East by Gloucester, West by Hamilton, and South by Manchester. Its greatest length is five miles and a quarter from North to South, and its mean length four and a half. Its greatest breadth from East to West is four miles, and its mean breadth three and a quarter.

Page 269

SOIL PRODUCTIONS

The soil is chiefly agrillaceous, loamy, gravelly, and marshy. In 1831, it was divided into 406 acres of tillage, 577 of English and upland mowing, 78 of fresh meadow, 1882 of salt marsh, 2554 of pasture inclusive of orchard pasturage, 1095 of woodland exclusive of pasture land enclosed, 295 unimproved, and 120 of unimprovable. Besides these divisions of land, there were 250 acres for roads and 1200 covered with water. Productions, in the same year, were, 25 bushels of rye, 864 of barley, 5171 of corn, 521 tons of English and upland hay, 39 of meadow hay, and 1084 tons of salt hay. In addition to these were potatoes and other vegetables, apples, and other fruits.

LIVE STOCK. 1831. There were 73 horses above one year old, 194 oxen of four years and over, 380 cows of three years and more, 39 steers and heifers above one year old, 168 sheep of six months and above, 143 swine of a similar age.

MANUFACTURES

Mills; three saw-mills, two grist-mills, and one carding-mill; a bark, rolling, and hide mill. Tanners & Curriers, two; Carpenters, fifteen; Ropewalks, three, two of them in operation; Coopers, three; Wheelwright, one; Painters, two; Cabinetmaker, one; Mason, one; Brick-makers, two; Cordwainers, there are eighteen shops where such mechanics work; Blacksmiths, nine; Caulkers & Gravers, five; Ship-building, in this employment, thirty-eight master-workmen, now living, have built and are building vessels. A large number of hands are hired for such work, each of whom receives, on an average, twenty dollars per month, besides board. The making of vessels was commenced here as long ago as 1668. In 1828, forty vessels of different dimensions were built. For four years, up to 1834, the average amount of tonnage, annually made, was 2500 tons. Each ton sold, at a medium price, for twenty-five dollars. Previously to fifteen years past, nothing but pink-stern vessels were made; since, square-sterned ones have been increasingly built. The largest of these was

Page 270

202 tons.Ship-building, thus followed, has given scope to a commendable spirit of enterprise, cherished a more than usual mechanical genius, and added much to the prosperity of the town.

ROAD BRIDGE

1823. A new road is made at the Falls, which leads to the landing. The same year, a draw to the great bridge is made.

WHARVES TONNAGE

1831. There were eight thousand superficial feet of wharves, mostly taken up for ship-building, and for materials in this business. Vessels owned here, from five tons and upwards, measured 273 tons.

FISHERY BAIT

Thirty years since, forty sail of boats from this place were engaged in the fishery on the Eastern shore; a few were employed in the Bank fishery. The fishing business diminished, as ship-building increased and was found more profitable. It was mostly discontinued twelve years ago. Nine hundred barrels of clams are dug here annually. The persons, by whom they are obtained, sell them, exclusive of barrels and salt, from $2.50 to $3.00. Such bait was formerly vended at Marblehead, and now in Boston, for the prices mentioned with reference to Ipswich.

POPULATION

In 1820, there were 1107 inhabitants, and 258 ratable polls; in 1830, 1333 inhabitants, and 319 ratable polls, twelve not taxed, and six supported by the town.

<--Previous Next-->

© 2005 by John Slaughter