Search billions of records on Ancestry.com

Page 61

PROVINCE LOANS

1721, May 11th. The town vote to draw their proportion of the £50,000 in bills of credit out of the province treasury, as emitted by the General Court. This proportion was £1429. Oct. 5th. Three trustees are appointed to loan this money. Oct. 19th. They are allowed to have it, except £100 on mortgage at four per cent., and to let it to individuals in town at six.
1728, April 1st. Five persons are appointed trustees of £1560 5s., the proportion which Ipswich was designated to have of £60,000 in province bills. They are to let it at six per cent. No townsman is to have more than £50 nor less than £5. The trustees are allowed two per cent. for their trouble. The General Court had made two other emissions of bills, one in 1690 and the other 1702. They entered upon such an experiment from necessity, having greatly involved the country by an expedition to Canada, and possessing no other apparent means to extricate it from debt. The precedent, however, was an evil one. It led to other similar expedients, until confidence was lost in government paper, and deep distress brought upon the whole province.

DONATIONS

181644. £5 or a cow is to be paid to Ipswich by order of Mr. Richard Andrews, haberdasher, of London, who had made similar gifts to other plantations.
1659. The General Court grant each town copies of Mr. Norton's work, in the press, against the Quakers, in proportion to its rates.

BENEFACTIONS

51668. As the Selectmen are instructed by the General Court to receive gifts here for freight of masts for His Majesty, next lecture-day is appointed to ascertain what sum can be

Page 62

advanced. These masts and other articles were sent over to Charles the Second, by contributions from the several towns, as a sort of palliation for our fathers' having favored the anti-royalists.
1682. Mr. Samuel Hall, some time a resident in Massachusetts, had died at Langford near Malden, Essex county, England. He bequeathed £100 to those, who lost by the great fire in Boston and by Indian wars in this colony. Mr. John Hall of Islington, near London, was his executor, who sent an order to his mother, Mrs. Rebeccah Symonds of Ipswich. to dispose of the bequest. She gave to individuals who had suffered by Indians, as follows: — £8 to Martha Graves; £10 to Moses of Newichiwanack, son of the Rev. William Worcester; £5 to Frances Graves of Ipswich; £3 to Martha Coy, fled to Boston, widow of John Coy of Brookfield, slain; 33s. to Susannah, widow of Thomas Ayres, also slain.
1774, Aug. 29th. Ipswich voted £100 to relieve the distressed inhabitants of Boston, "who are suffering in the cause of the country." Such noble charity was bestowed by all parts of our country, though adversity frowned and fears were high in every quarter.
1803. For sufferers by fire at Portsmouth 100 dollars, and for such in the same town, in 1814, 250 dollars.
1811. For sufferers by fire at Newburyport 1000 dollars.
1823. 220 dollars to sufferers by fire at Wiscasset and Alna.
1828. Collections were made for the Greeks.
1830. Some aid was granted to sufferers by fire at Gloucester.
1832. 150 dollars were contributed for the Cape de Verd Islands.
BUNKER HILL ASSOCIATION. 1825, April 19th. 148 dollars 20 cents are paid over to the treasurer of this association, for erecting a monument. About 56 dollars more were given by ladies for the same object.
RELIGIOUS CHARITIES. In Mr. Kimball's Society, for the last seven years, they have averaged 300 dollars annually; and, for the same period, there has been in Mr. Fitz's, an average of 215 dollars each year.

"To shed beneficence, Celestial office!"

Page 63

DIVISION OF ESSEX COUNTY

51693, March 17th. Ipswich instructs is representatives to petition with others, that the county may be divided. This was granted by the House, but negatived by the Governor and Council.
1736, March 4th. The town instruct their representatives to oppose a division of the county. This subject has been several times agitated. Such a division will probably take place; but when, time will tell.

TOWN HOUSE

1704, May 11th. Voted, that such a building be forthwith erected on Meeting-house Hill, with a school-house under it, if the county pay half of the expense. Dec. 28th. A committee are chosen to contract for such a house, 28 feet wide, 32 feet long, 18 or 19 feet stud, with chimneys.
1767, Aug. 2d. It is voted to pay £29 7s. 8d. for making a steeple on the Town-house.
1794, May 1st. Agreed that the committee, who are to confer with the county committee about a new Court-house be empowered to sell the old one. The new house was finished early in 1795. It cost 7000 dollars, Ipswich paying one half and the county the other.

PROBATE OFFICE BUILDING

This, made of brick and fire-proof, is 28 feet wide, 40 feet long, and one story high. It cost the county 3700 dollars. It was finished and occupied December 15th, 1817. The Probate Office was kept from 1722 to 1815 in the Court-house. From this time, till 1817, it was kept in the house of Nathaniel Lord, Esq., the present Register. It is well, that after the elapse of many years, the public good was so far prudently consulted, as to provide a safe depository for a large portion of the county's most valuable records.

Page 64

POST-OFFICE

51775, May 4th. Ipswich chooses a committee to confer with those of other towns, from Newburyport to Danvers, who are met here respecting the establishment of a regular post from the former place to Cambridge. 47May 24th. The Provincial Congress lately appointed a Post-office for Ipswich, and James Foster to be its keeper. The mail had been carried through Ipswich, up to this time, from before 1756, on horseback. It was six days on its route from Boston to Portsmouth and back again. Since Deacon Foster, there have been seven Post-masters.

UNITY LODGE

This body received their charter March 9th, 1779. It was the ninth chartered by the Grand Lodge. The Masons of Ipswich have held no meeting since 1829. As to this cessation they are not chargeable with imprudence. Though aware that there have been gross misrepresentations of Masonic obligations and transactions, yet they have not thought it well to convene, lest it should fan the flame of party animosity, which already preys upon the vitals of the body politic. They do not undertake to assert, that no lodges in our country have become so corrupt, as to engage, that, if expediency or necessity require, they will violate laws both human and divine. But they can truly declare, that neither they nor any lodge of New England, with which they have an acquaintance, have ever understandingly covenanted to countenance, much less to practise immoralities. They feel themselves bound to condemn the murderers of Morgan, if such there be, and the attempts to prevent the infliction of justice upon them, as upon other members of the community. It would, however, be infatuation to pretend, that Masonry is free from every fault. Like all institutions of human origin, it has imperfections. Among these imperfections is a part of the figurative expressions and forms, used on the admission of

Page 65

its members. Such things, if they were not formerly defects, have become so, wherever the benevolent spirit and enlightened views of Christianity prevail. The object of legitimate Masonry can now be accomplished without them.
With regard to the proposal before our Legislature, it is a question deserving serious and general consideration, whether they should not only forbid Masonic, Phi Beta Kappa, and other literary societies' oaths of secrecy, but also oaths of every description. The true man will tell the truth without an oath. The false man will declare falsely with an oath. Indeed, who is not shocked to witness the frequent perjury, which takes place in our courts of justice? In cases of this sort, the perjurer implicitly calls upon his Maker to destroy his soul, if he do not speak truly. There is nothing really so awful as this in the obligations of Masonry. While the axe is laid to one root, let it be laid to the whole. Let a law be passed, prohibiting oaths of every kind, and requiring, when necessary, the solemn affirmation of the Friends. Let this be done, and then the public welfare will not have cause to complain, that while one part of its claims are listened to by a numerous legislative assembly, the other is neglected.

TEMPERANCE SOCIETY

An association of this kind, with strict rules and a consistent compliance with them, is one of the greatest blessings to any community. As existing in Ipswich, it was formed 1829, and embraces five hundred members.

BANK

This was incorporated March 25th, 1833. Its capital is 100,000 dollars. It began to issue bills Aug. 10th.

PRECAUTIONS AS TO STRANGERS

51673. Any who let houses or lands to those, whom the town disapprove of, shall be fined, or any who entertain stran-

Page 66

gers, shall pay 20s. a week, unless security be given for their honesty and ability.
1700, May 27th. John Wainwright, having leased a farm to Samuel Cass of Hampton, New Hampshire, gives a bond of £200, to indemnify the town if any of the Cass family should come upon them.
1789. Persons, recently moved hither, are warned away, without any respect to their character, profession, or condition. This custom, as a legal one, continued years afterwards.

ORNAMENTAL TREES

1798. Lombardy Poplars begin to be set out in various parts of the town. One thing, which soon brought them into disrepute, was, that they were infested with poisonous asps, and another, that they injured the soil near them. They became unfashionable in ten years. They were preceded by Weeping Willows, which have recently renewed their appearance, and by Pine and Spruce trees. One hundred and sixty years ago, the Elm and Mulberry were favorite ornaments, and have continued in a greater or less degree. Horse-chesnut and Mountain Ash followed the Poplar. The Catalpa has been lately introduced. To the lover of nature, trees, clad with verdure and placed around dwellings and by the wayside, always afford a welcome prospect.

NEUTRAL FRENCH

51757, Nov. 21st. Voted £20 for their assistance.
1758. The Selectmen are instructed to supply them.
1762. A plan is to be devised for supporting them at less expense. The number of them was about twenty. There was a priest among them, who used to bring along wooden ladles for sale. They were industrious. Both sexes of them wore shoes of wood. They left Ipswich in 1766. They were part of the Catholic inhabitants, who were compelled to leave Nova Scotia, after it was conquered by the English.

Page 67

PAUPERS

1666. An individual supported by the town, is to be let out.
1678. A Deacon of the Church is empowered to supply a poor person at the town's expense.
1700. Voted to be at the charge of sending Goodwife Dent to Scotland, her native place. She did not go.
1727. Two men, having been blown off from Canso and having put in at St. Peter's of Newfoundland, where they paid money for the passage of an old man, Richard Cole, who had lived at Ipswich and who was with them, to his home in England, desire to be reimbursed.
1738. This place pays £400 a year for its poor.
1741. The Overseers are to give public notice when the time is for letting out the paupers, as cheap as they can be. This is still a practice in our small towns, where there are no alms-houses. It is open to the serious objection of having the disorderly among the poor often thrown into hands unfitted to hold a proper restraint upon them.
111742. Voted that Mr. Pickering have a contribution for the poor in Chebacco.
51759. Materials are to be provided, so that the paupers committed to the house of correction may be employed.
1760. £66 13s. 4d. are voted to buy a house for two men, reduced to poverty.
1766. Paupers are increasing here.
1778, Dec. 31st. Voted that application be made to the Selectmen for cutting down decayed wood, which belongs to persons in Great Britain, "for use of the poor and the soldiers' families in this distressing time for want of wood."
1786. Charges for poor £300.
1792. They are above £500.

ALMS-HOUSES

1701. Voted that some convenient house be built on the common to accommodate the poor.
1702. Voted that a cottage be made for this purpose.
1717. It is agreed to have an alms-house, composed of logs, 40 feet long, 16 wide, and 6 high.

Page 68

1735. All the poor are to live in one house, provided by the Selectmen, except such as are exempted.
1770. The alms-house at the south-east end of the county-house, is decayed.
1784. The Selectmen are to sell the alms-house for the most it will fetch.
1785. A committee are instructed to finish the alms-house.
1795, May 6th. Voted to buy John Harris's house, other buildings, and land, for the poor, at £250. This was done.
1818, Jan. 1st. Voted that the Town Treasurer hire 10,500 dollars to purchase a farm for the paupers. April 6th. Voted to sell the place previously improved as an alms-house establishment, and with the proceeds of it to enlarge the buildings on the farm recently bought. This farm formerly belonged to the noted Doctor Thomas Berry. It is in the north part of the town nigh Rowley River.
1820. The whole number in the alms-house, when visited, was forty-seven. Of these, twenty-three were brought to poverty, directly or indirectly, by intemperance.
1832. The report of this year is as follows. —
The main building was an old farm-house, 34 by 48 feet, two stories high. Other buildings are, one 20 by 50, and another 20 by 26, both of one story. The farm contains 340 acres, 50 of which are marsh. The land is excellent for hay and grain, yielding 150 tons of the former and 600 bushels of the latter in a year. One fifth of the paupers here entirely earn their living. The State poor are not inclined to remain, because required to work. All the clothing of those in the alms-house is manufactured and made up here. Salary of the superintendent is 225 dollars, and of a hired man 215 dollars.
Dr.
Whole expenditures for
  the establishment last
  year . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Whole expenditures for
  poor out of the house .
Interest on cost of the
  farm . . . . . . . . . . . . . .



$1,300.77

158.73

   570.00
$2,29.50
||
||
||
||
||
||
||
||
||

For produce sold from
  the farm  . . . . . . . . . . .
For State paupers . . . . .
Cr.

$1,069.15
   116.75
1,185.90


________
 1,185.90
$2,029.50
 1,185.90
Balance against the town
$  843.60

Page 69

1833. There were thirty-six in the alms-house. Of these was one insane and another non compos. It is calculated that they have maintained themselves this year, and earned 150 dollars towards paying the interest. The average ages of the thirty-six were seventy-one years, and of twelve among them eighty-five years and a half, making one thousand and twenty-seven years. The purchasing and continuing of this establishment is sound economy for the town and mercy for the poor. These, having stated employement, and wholesome and regular food as well as clothing, are more happy in mind and more healthy in body. Such of them as are slaves to vicious indulgences have something else to occupy their attention, at least for a part of the time, besides the gratification of their evil propensities. While much is thus well done for their bodies, should not the inquiry be made, whether enough has been done for their souls? The poor, however they become so, whether by adversity or crime, are the Providential care of the public, who are bound to provide for their spiritual as well as temporal necessities.

SETTLEMENTS AND TOWNS SET OFF

181635, May 6th. The General Court order the bounds of Ipswich and Quascacunquen to be laid out. "Some of the chief of Ipswich desired leave to remove to Quascacunquen, or Newbury, to begin a plantation there, which was granted them."
1638, Sept. 6th. Among the proprietors of Winnecunett, about to be settled and next year called Hampton, are several of Ipswich.
221639, March. The settlers of Rowley, under the Rev. Ezekiel Rogers, pay Ipswich and Newbury £800 for farms within the limits set out for Rowley.
181640, May 13th. The desire of the Rev. Nathaniel Ward and others for a settlement at Pentucket or Cochichawick is granted, if they decide in three weeks from the 21st, and build at one of these places before next court. It appears that the situation chosen was Pentucket, or Haverhill, and that this settlement was laid out before October.

Page 70

1641, Oct. 8th. "Divers families in Linne and Ipswich" having purposed to inhabit Long Island, their leaders are called before the General Court and dissuaded from proceeding any farther, because it would strengthen the Dutch, whom Winthrop called "our doubtful neighbour."
1643, Oct. "As, Sept. 4th, 1639, land, lying near Ipswich River was granted for a village to some inhabitants of Salem and Ipswich, and the order mentioned only Salem people, and forasmuch as the said inhabitants of Ipswich have for near two years procured and maintained one to dispense the word of God unto them, which they intend to continue," it is allowed that gentlemen of these two towns be considered as the settlers of this village.
1644, Oct. 31st. On petition of Zaccheus Gould, it is thought well, that there should be a village about his farm, and that Ipswich should assist therein. This farm was within Topsfield bounds.
1645, Oct. 4th. As the Court had permitted a village "at or near New Meadows; as the inhabitants of Ipswich, who have farms near thereunto, desire that a minister may be settled there, they are to be free from ministerial and other taxes at Ipswich, or else Ipswich is to help them maintain a minister or other charges incident to the place." The village here mentioned is the same as is spoken of under 1643, and was incorporated in 1650, by the name of Topsfield.
1660, May 31st. Some persons of Ipswich are granted a plantation of six miles square, near Quabog Ponds, if twenty families and an approved minister be there in three years. This settlement was afterwards called Brookfield.
1667, May 15th. As only six or seven families had gone to Quabog, Ipswich is allowed a year from next midsummer, to comply with the conditions of their grant. A reason for such delay was probably the very unsettled state, in which the political affairs of the colony then were.
1675, May 12th. Jeremiah Belcher and others of this place are granted a plantation six miles square, if they reserve a farm of three hundred acres for the colony, and have twenty families and a minister settled there in six years.
481696, June 26th. Rev. Wm. Hubbard writes to Governor Archdale of Carolina, that a considerable number in

Page 71

Ipswich intend to emigrate thither. This emigration took place. It appears to have been about Oct. 11th, when several were dismissed from Salem-village church, who were bound to the same part of our country.
201729, Dec. 17th. Granted to inhabitants of Ipswich and Newbury, a township equal to six miles square, at Miller's River or Paquoiag, if not interfering with the grant of a township to Joseph Andrews and other of Salem.
1735, June 10th. A township of six miles square is granted to Lieut. Abraham Tilton and others of Ipswich. The preference of shares in such territory is assured to the descendants of soldiers, who served in the expedition of 1690 against the French. 49There were sixty-three equal shares; one for the first minister; another for support of the ministry; a third for the use of a school, and the rest for sixty proprietors. All these, except eight, belonged to Ipswich. The place was originally called Ipswich-Canada, but, in 1764, it was incorporated by the name of Winchendon. The conditions of the grant were, to have sixty small houses, with a convenient meeting-house, and to settle a learned and orthodox minister in five years. The provision, thus made for schooling and for the ministry, was common in such grants.
51784, May 5th. David Hammond, Moses, Hannah, and Nathaniel Bradstreet, and Timothy Harris, are set off to Rowley. The next year, Oct. 5th, for the completion of this allowance, they pay £65 for town claims upon them.
1793, June 21st. The Hamlet becomes incorporated by the name of Hamilton.
1819, Feb. 15th. Chebacco is incorporated and is called Essex. Thus reduced in territory, and thus having sent her children far and near, and thousands more, of whom we have no account, Ipswich yet remains possessed of no small portion of land, and yet helps to enrich many places with her surplus of steady, enterprising population.

EMIGRANTS FROM IPSWICH

Only a small part of these are known. Lest these, comparatively few, be less and less remembered, we give them a place here.

Page 72

1634. William Perkins removes to Roxbury, where he married Elizabeth Wootton, Aug. 30th, 1636, — was of Weymouth 1643, of Gloucester 1651, where he preached, and of Topsfield 1655. He was son of Wm. and Catharine Perkins of London, born Aug. 25, 1607, and died May 21st, 1682.
1635, May. Rev. Thomas Parker, Mr. Nicholas Noyes, Mr. Henry Sewall, Wm. White, Wm. Moody, and Richard Kent, to Newbury.
1636. Henry Short, John Spencer, and Nicholas Easton, to the same town. The last followed Mrs. Hutchinson to Newport. He became President and Governor of Rhode Island colony.
1638. Samuel, son of Gov. Thomas Dudley, helps settle Salisbury, was a deputy there, became minister of Exeter. — May 2d. Wm. Jeffrey with N. Easton had gone to Winnecunett. The magistrates of Ipswich have power to remove them. Sept. 6th. Wm. Foster, for his religious opinions, is ordered to leave the jurisdiction by next March.
1639. About this year, Gov. Thomas Dudley moved to Roxbury. Richard Jennings, born in Ipswich, England, and who came over with Rev. N. Rogers, returns home.
1640. Edward French and Robert Mussey to Salisbury. Matthias Currin to Southold, Long Island.
1641. Rev. John Ward, Mr. John Fawn, and Hugh Sherratt, to Haverhill. The last died Sept. 5th, 1678, aged one hundred years.
1644. John, son of Christopher Osgood, to Andover.
1645. James Ward, who graduated this year at Harvard College, returns to England with his father. Richard Bellingham, Governor, to Boston. Nathaniel Bishop had moved to Boston; Simon Bradstreet, Governor, to Andover.
1646. Matthias Button, a Dutchman, and Theophilus Shatswell, to Haverhill. William Fuller to Hampton.
John Winthrop, jr. 1633. He comes to settle Agawam. He arrives in Massachusetts with his wife, Nov. 2d, 1631; became freeman 1632. She died 1634; was Martha, daughter of Rev. Henry Painter, of Exeter, England; was buried in Ipswich. There is no memento to tell where the dust of this excellent woman lies. — 1634, May 14th. Mr. Winthrop is chosen Assistant and so continues till his removal from the colony, 1649. He visited England 1634, and was at his uncle Emanuel Downing's of London. — 1635, Oct. 6th.

Page 73

He came home with a commission from Lords Say, Brook, and others, to commence a plantation at Connecticut. He was appointed Governor of this settlement the preceding July 18th. Nov. 3d. He sends a bark of thirty tons and twenty men, with provisions, to take possession of the mouth of Connecticut River and to erect a building there. 17th. He was Lieutenant Colonel of Essex regiment under John Endicott. — 1636, June 23d. His father addresses him by letter as Governor of Connecticut, and he seems to have been there superintending its concerns. — 1638, Jan. 22d. His father writes to him at Ipswich. June 25th. He has leave to set up salt-works at Ryal-side, then a part of Salem, now of Beverly, and to have wood enough for carrying on the works, and pasture for two cows. It appears from this that Mr. Winthrop, jr., had given up his care of Connecticut Plantation. — 1639, Feb. 11th. He is granted Castle Hill and all the meadow and marsh within the Creek, if he lives in Ipswich. — 1640, Oct. 7th. The General Court grant him Fisher’s Island at the mouth of Pequod River, so far as it is in their power, preserving the right of Connecticut and Saybrook. — 1641, Aug. 3d. He sails for England. — 1644, June 28th. He is granted a plantation at or near Pequod for Iron Works. Nov. 13th. He is granted the hill at Tantousq, about sixty miles to the westward, where black lead is. — 1645, Jan. 1st. He conveys his farm, called Castle Hill, to his brother-in-law, Samuel Symonds. — 1646, May. He and others had recently begun a plantation in the Pequod country, belonging to Massachusetts. Thomas Peters, intending to join him in this enterprise, is appointed by the General Court to help him govern the people there. Thus it was that Mr. Winthrop, who was continually striving to benefit his adopted country by the invention and experience of his science, leave Ipswich, the place which he chiefly aided to settle. Such were his example, influence, and exertion for the public good, that his departure must have produced regret in many a heart. His course, subsequent to this removal, was so illustrious, that we need give no further account of him here.
1648. Rev. Francis Dane to Andover. Sept. 18th. Edward Gillman, jr., sells his place to his father, Edward, which was given to the former by his father-in-law, Richard Smith, 1647. This Edward, jr., was of Exeter, N. H., in 1652. Stephen Jordan soon removes to Newbury.

Page 74

1650. John Hoyt, brickmaker, to Haverhill.
1653. Bryan Pendleton to Portsmouth, where he becomes noted.
1654. Doct. Giles Firman, was son of Giles, who had been an apothecary at Sudbury in England, and who died Deacon of Boston Church, 1634. He was born 1614-15, educated at Cambridge, England. He spelt his name Gyles Fyrmin. He had a grant of land at Ipswich, 1638-9, on condition of living here three years; became freeman 1639; married a daughter of the Rev. Nathaniel Ward. — 501639, Dec. 29th. He writes to Governor Winthrop, that he was strongly set upon studying divinity, and that his profession of physic was of little profit to him. — 181641, Oct. 8th. He is appointed to grant summons and attachments in civil actions at Ipswich. — 51642, Nov. 3d. He is an Elder of the church here. He continued in Ipswich and practised as a physician till about 1654, when he returned to England. Here he became eminent as a divine, as well as in his other profession. He died in April, 1697, in his eighty-third year.
Joseph Rowlandson begins to preach at Lancaster. — He supplies here till Sept. 1660, when he becomes ordained. During his senior year at Harvard College, he wrote what was termed by the Quarterly Court “a scandalous libel,” and posted it up on Ipswich meeting-house. he was tried here and sentenced, Sept. 20th, 1651, to be whipped or pay £5, and charges, 30s., for thus writing prose and verse against the government and a few individuals of this town. In describing one of these individuals, he said, “When he lived in our country, a wet eele’s tayle and his word were something worth ye taking hold of.” He made an apology, and the rest of his fine was remitted by the Court, March 25th, 1656. He was the husband of Mrs. Rowlandson, a relation of whose sufferings, as a captive among the Indians, forms a noted book.
1655. Thomas, father of the preceding, moves with his wife, Bridget, and family to Lancaster. Among his children was Thomas, killed there by Indians, in 1676.
1656. Wm. Paine was of Ipswich 1638; became freeman, 1640. He was on the chief committees of the town, and was feoffee of the Grammar School. To this he bequeathed Little Neck, and £20 to Harvard College. He removed to Boston

Page 75

about 1656; died Oct. 10th, 1660. He left a widow, Hannah, a daughter, wife of Samuel Appleton, and a son, John.
1657. William, son of Deputy-Governor Symonds, had settled at Preston, afterwards Wells, in Yorkshire, Maine, was Deputy from that place, 1676; died May 22d, 1679. Left a widow, Mary, daughter of Jonathan Wade of Ipswich, and children. Cornelius Waldo to Chelmsford, where he was deacon.
1659. Mr. Richard Dummer soon to Newbury.
1660. John Warner, born 1616, and Wm. Prichard, to Quabog. Daniel Warner had gone to Hadley.
Nov. Ezekiel Cheever, who came hither Dec. 30th, 1650, to teach the Grammar School, removes to Charlestown, and thence to Boston.
1661, May 22d. Edmund Marshall, formerly of Salem, now of Ipswich, weaver, sells an estate to Abraham Warren, planter, of the former town, and appears to be about moving away.
1662. William Hubbard came to New England by 1630, was of Ipswich 1635, freeman 1638. He held chief offices of the town, was feoffee of the Grammar School, Deputy to the General Court 1638, 1639, 1643, 1644, 1645, 1646, and Justice of the Quarterly Court. — 1638. The General Court grant him three hundred acres of land. — 1651. He was empowered to marry people. — 1656. For land granted him in 1652, and for £50 paid by him in England for the country, he has a grant of one thousand acres. — 1657. He is on a committee to examine complaints, that the families of ministers suffer for want of support. He removed to Boston about 1662, when he gave his son Richard a large farm at the Hamlet. He died between June 8th and Aug. 19th, 1670, leaving sons, Rev. William, Richard, and Nathaniel. What Johnson said of him, was no exaggeration, “A learned man, being well read in State matters, of a very affable and humble behaviour, who hath expended much of his estate to helpe on this worke. Altho he be slow in speech, yet is hee downright for the businesse.”
1663, Oct. 6th. John, son of Thomas and Elizabeth Emerson, is ordained over Gloucester Church.
1664, April 24th. Thomas Kemble of Boston, merchant, sells Haclakendine Symonds five hundred acres of land on the west side of “Damary Cotty River,” which he bought of

Page 76

an Indian Sagamore “Witta Noies.” Mr. Symonds removed to the eastward about this date. — June 12th, 1688. He sells Coxhall, in the county of York, being six miles long and four broad, lying at the head of Wells and Arundel, to Roger Haskins and thirty-five others. He was brother of the preceding William Symonds, and was living in 1695, aged sixty.
1665. Nathaniel Saltonstall had removed to Haverhill. He was son of Richard, and became an eminent character. Not long after this year, Daniel Davison goes to Newbury, where he was a Sheriff. Richard Kimball settled at Bradford, where he was killed by Indians in 1676, and his family taken captive.
1666. Wm. Bartholomew came hither from London, 1635, and was made freeman the same year. He deposed at the trial of Mrs. Ann Hutchinson, that she was a passenger in the same ship with him, and had expressed herself as being favored with revelations from Heaven. He sustained the principal trusts in town. He was feoffee of the Grammar School, Deputy to the General Court, 1635, 1637, 1638, 1641, 1647, 1650. He was chosen County Treasurer, 1654. — 1666, May 23d. He had taken up his residence in Boston, where he was on a committee to relieve Englishmen, who became prisoners of the French at the capture of St. Christopher’s, and who had come to Boston. He appears to have resided at Marblehead, 1674, and died at Charlestown, Jan. 18th, 1681. Henry Bartholomew, of Salem, was his brother.
1670. Daniel Epes takes the Grammar School at Salem. Among his various offices, he was chaplain in the expedition against Port Royal, 1707.
1672. Capt. John Ayres, late of Ipswich, now of Quabog, sells property. He was killed at “Squakehege,” by Indians, 1675.
1674. Nathaniel and Jonathan, sons of Mr. Jonathan Wade, had settled at Mystic.
1675. George Norton had removed to Springfield.
1676, April 20th. Thomas Stacy, miller, wife, and nine children, from Ipswich, are received by the First Church of Salem.
1677. Samuel, son of Ezekiel Cheever, becomes preacher at Marblehead.
1678, Nov. 27th. John, son of Wm. Norton, is ordained at Hingham.
1680. John, son of the Rev. Wm. Hubbard, had become an inhabitant of Boston. His wife’s name was Ann. Lawrence

Page 77

Davis, having come from Portland, on account of the Indian War, 1675, and resided here, now returns.
1681. Roger Derby and his wife Lucretia to Salem.
1682. Rev. John Rogers becomes President of Harvard College.
1683. Samuel, son of Mr. Samuel Appleton, was of Lynn.
Richard, son of Sir Richard Saltonstall, came to Watertown, 1630, and was freeman next year. Having accompanied his father to England, he returns and settles at Ipswich, 1635, when he sets up the first Corn-Mill in this town. — 1636. He is Deputy to the General Court till May, 1637, when he is chosen Assistant, and so continues to 1649; reelected, 1664, 1680, 1681, 1682. — 1641. He is chosen Serjeant Major of Col. John Endicott’s regiment. — 1642, May 18th. The General Court clear him from blame in having written a book against the propriety of the Standing Council. Oct. 18th. The Elders, assembled at Ipswich, concur in the same justification. Rev. Mr. Norris, of Salem, had taken ground opposite to that of Mr. Saltonstall. The Council, about which so great a controversy existed, was composed of three members, who were to hold their office for life or good behaviour, and to exercise whatever authority the General Court conferred on them, during its recess. It became unpopular, as too aristocratical for charter privileges, and ceased, after three years, in 1639. — 251643, July 14th. Mr. Saltonstall, with others, writes against assisting La Tour, lest it should be construed as an indication of War with D’Aulnay. Governor Winthrop replies to his objections. — † 1644, May 29th. Mr. Saltonstall is elected Reserve Commissioner of the United Colonies. — 1645, May 4th. He is on a committee to examine witnesses about “the French business,” and report next session. Aug. 16th. A protest, of his composition, and signed by himself and Wm. Hathorne of Salem, in opposition to the hostilities commenced by some of our colonists against D’Aulnay in behalf of La Tour, is handed to the Commissioners of the United Colonies. Oct. 4th. Mr. Saltonstall is one of several, who petition to become a company for the carrying on of an extensive peltry trade. At his solicitation, two persons are bound to answer for enslaving some natives of Guinea. — 1658. Oct. He had gone to England and returned, in

Page 78

1664. Previous to his making this visit, his wife was advised by her physicians to take a voyage across the Atlantic for her health. Her husband, of course, wished to accompany her. But, after the Revolution in the mother country, as many of the principal colonists wavered about continuing here, he made a vow, that he would not forsake Massachusetts while its religious privileges were preserved uncorrupted. Thus he was in a sore dilemma. He applied to Mr. Cotton for advice. This gentleman convinced him that his marriage promise was of more force, than his patriotic vow. So, very willingly absolved, he took a voyage for the benefit of his wife. — 1671. He had revisited England and returned. He was an efficient friend to Harvard University. Secretary Rawson wrote of him, “One of the College’s most considerable benefactors, and above many naturally caring for the good and prosperity thereof.” — 1672. Mr. Saltonstall gave £50 to Walley and Goffe, the exiled judges of Charles I. — 1680. He had been again to England and now comes back, and subsequently lived part of his time at Marshfield and the rest at Ipswich. — 1683. He went back to England and had returned, 1686, when he visited Ipswich about supplying its inhabitants with another Grist-Mill and a Fulling-Mill, according to his long agreement with them. As he and they did not think alike of the terms mutually proposed, they came to no decisive conclusion. He soon left this country and died at Hulme, April 29th, 1694, aged eighty-four, leaving an estate in Yorkshire. He had three daughters married in England, and a son, Nathaniel, settled at Haverhill. Mr. Saltonstall was indeed a promoter of the best good of Ipswich and of the colony. He was endowed with respectable talents, had a large share of intelligence, was a succourer of the distressed, a defender of the wronged, and the benefactor of his fellow men. His natural benevolence and enterprise were graced and rendered more efficient by his piety, which led him to purpose and act, as answerable at the bar of his Maker.
1685. Mr. John, son of Rev. Thomas Cobbet, had settled at Newbury.
1689. Simon, son of Mr. Francis Wainwright, had gone to Haverhill, where he was killed by Indians, 1708.
John Pinchon, who married Margaret, daughter of Rev. Wm. Hubbard, lived at Ipswich. He afterwards returned to Springfield.

Page 79

1692. Mr. Samuel, son of Rev. T. Cobbet, was of Bristol, in New Plymouth colony. He joined Ipswich church, 1674. His wife was Sarah.
John and Elizabeth of “Muddy River within the bounds of Boston,” children of John Fairfield late of Ipswich. John Procter, who had removed from this town to Salem Village, is executed for witchcraft.
1693. Rev. William Hubbard certifies to the good character of Sarah, wife of Wm. Buckley, who formerly lived here. This certificate was given on her trial for witchcraft, when she was cleared.
1696. Joseph, son of John Leigh, deceased, had settled at Concord, and had married Mary Woodhouse.
1699. Nathaniel, son of John Rogers, President of Harvard College, is ordained at Portsmouth. 1697, Sept. 14th. He received a call from Salem village Church, where he preached from 1st of Feb. to 1st of Oct.
1700. John, son of Col. Thomas and Elizabeth Wade, born Feb. 15th, 1676, graduated at Harvard College 1693, preaches at Berwick, Me., ordained there Nov., 1702, and died in a year after, much esteemed for his talents, piety, and usefulness.
1707. Jeremiah, son of Rev. John Wise, is ordained at Berwick, Me.
1713. Benjamin, son of John Choate, begins to preach at Kingston, N. H., and left there before 1725; graduated at Harvard College 1703.
1717. Nathaniel Appleton is ordained at Cambridge, where he was an eminent divine.
1718. Israel How becomes physician of Andover, and resided in the South Parish.
1727. Josiah Dennis is ordained at Yarmouth, East Precinct. When this part of that town was incorporated, 1793, the people, out of respect for him, had it called Dennis.
Thomas, son of Daniel Hovey, had gone to Hadley.
1728. Joseph Whipple, of the Hamlet, is ordained at Hampton Falls, N. H.
1732. Daniel, son of Daniel Rogers, graduated at Harvard College 1725, is ordained at Littleton.
1733. Thomas, and other children of John French, had removed to Deerfield.
1742. Moses Stevens, blacksmith, settles at Canterbury, Conn. At his decease he was aged ninety-four.

Page 80

1748. Samuel Langdon, who joined Chebacco church, 1741, and who taught school in town, is dismissed to Portsmouth church, over which he becomes ordained. The “Annals of Portsmouth” say he was born in Boston, 1722.
Daniel, son of Rev. John Rogers, is installed over the new church at Exeter. He had been, for a considerable time, tutor and fellow of Harvard College and preached for the First Parish of Ipswich, occasionally, over six years.
1750. Andrew Oliver, formerly admitted to the First Church here in full communion, is dismissed to the South Church in Boston.
1753. Daniel Warner is dismissed to the church at Pomfret, Conn.; and Sarah, wife of Jacob Foster, to Billerica church.
1754. John, son of John and Lydia Dennis, is recommended by the First Church, to the church about to be gathered at Charlestown, N. H., where he was settled as minister, and left, 1761. He had been often employed to preach in the several parishes of Ipswich, was teacher of the Grammar School here, was chaplain at Fort St. George, 1740, and at Fort Frederic, 1744-5. He was born Nov. 3d, 1708, and died at Ipswich, Sept. 2d, 1773.
1755. Joseph Ayres and wife are dismissed to the church at Mansfield, under Rev. Mr. Salter.
1756. Daniel Wood from South Church to Dracut church.
1758. Stephen Emerson from First Church, to church at Newmarket, N. H., and Richard Harris to Harvard church.
1762. Edmund Heard and his wife, Priscilla, to the church at Holden.
1763. John Treadwell is ordained at Lynn, returned to Ipswich 1782, taught the Grammar School here; was Representative to the General Court, 1785-6; removed to Salem, where he became a Senator and Judge of the Common Pleas Court. He died Jan. 5th, 1811, aged seventy-three. His wife, Mehitable, who was a Dexter, died July 1st, 1786.
1765. Samuel Perley, of West Ipswich, is ordained over the Presbyterian church at Hampton Falls. He fitted for college and studied divinity with Rev. George Leslie. He married Hepsibah Fowler, of his native parish. 51He was installed at Moultonborough, N. H., 1778, at Groton, N. H., 1779,

Page 81

where he remained about five years; at Gray, Me., 1784, and continued there in office till 1791, and died Nov. 28th, 1831, aged eighty-nine.
1770. Isaac Choate to Leicester.
1778. Joseph Cummings is settled as minister of Moultonborough, N. H.; died 1790.
1780. About this time, Doctor Joshua Fisher, who came hither from Dedham, and had been on the committee of Correspondence during the Revolution, removes to Beverly.
1785. John, son of Rev. John Cleaveland, is ordained at Stoneham; afterwards installed at Wrentham.
1791. Nathaniel Howe, of West Ipswich, is ordained at Hopkinton.
1792. Oliver Dodge, of the Hamlet, is ordained at Pomfret, Conn.
1793. Nathan Bradstreet, whose father’s farm was set off to Rowley in 1785, is ordained colleague with Ebenezer Flagg, of Chester, N. H. He resigned, 1818, bought a farm in Westford, Mass., and removed thither, 1820, where he died suddenly about 1827, aged over fifty.
1794. Daniel Dana is ordained at Newburyport.
1796. Joseph, son of Wm. McKean, had taught the Grammar School here two years, and studied divinity with Dr. Dana, and now takes an academy at Berwick; became minister of Milton in 1797, and afterwards Professor at Harvard College.
1797. John Crocker, jr., removes to Londonderry, N. H.
1801. Samuel Dana is ordained at Marblehead.
1802. Mark Newman is dismissed from the First Church to the church in Andover, under Jonathan French.
1805. Levi Frisbie accepts the office of Latin tutor, and afterwards became Professor, at Harvard College.

DISMISSIONS FROM CHEBACCO CHURCH TO
CHURCHES IN THE FOLLOWING TOWNS

1732. Jonathan Andrews and wife Sarah to Scarborough. 1734. Ebenezer Burnam and wife Dorothy to Windsor, Conn. Mary, wife of John Howard, was dismissed to Windsor, Conn. 1736. Hannah, wife of John Butler, to Lynne. Stephen Story and wife Mary to Norwich. Margaret, wife of James Perkins, to Lyme. 1737. Elizabeth (Fraile), wife of Henry Walker, to Hopkinton.

Page 82

1738. Wm. Bennet and wife Sarah to Windsor, Conn. George Stimson to Hopkinton. 1739. John Martin, jr., and wife Elizabeth, to Lunenburg. Thomas Butler, jr., and wife Abigail, to Windsor, Conn. Joseph Foster and wife Abigail to Kingston, N. H. 1740. Martha, wife of Thomas Brown, to Lunenburg. 1741. Elizabeth (Martin), wife of David Goodridge, was dismissed to Lunenburg. 1742. Dorcas (Andrews), wife of James Ely, to Lyme, Conn. 1743. Martha (Butler), wife of Winthrop Marston, to Hampton, N. H. James Colman and wife Rachel to Lunenburg. 1744. Nathaniel Foster, jr., to Newbury. 1745. Thomas Butler and wife Martha to Hopkinton. 1746. Jeremiah Burnam, jr., and wife Abigail, to Hopkinton. Mary (Bennet), wife of Eliphalet Wood, to Norwich, Conn. 1747. John Burnam, 3d, and wife Bethiah, to Norwich, Conn. Mary, wife of Wm. Goodhue, jr., to Holliston. Elizabeth, wife of Daniel Pecker, jr., to Boston. 1760. Hannah, wife of John Ingalls, to Dunstable. 1763. Sarah, wife of Jonathan Low, to Lunenburg. 1769. Jeremiah Andrews to Concord. Abigail, wife of Joseph Low, to Fitchburg. 1783. Jacob Perkins to Cockermont, N. H. 1786. Mary, widow of John Marshall, now wife of Mr. Alvard, to South Hadley. 1788. Martha, wife of Jeremiah Kinsman, to Fitchburg. 1790. Rachel, wife of Jonathan Herrick, to Hopkinton, N. H. Thomas Story to Hopkinton, N. H. 1792. Jeremiah Story to Hopkinton, N. H. 1793. William Story to Goffstown, N. H. Elizabeth, wife of Captain Joseph Leach, to Dunbarton, N. H. 1796. Captain Daniel Giddings to Clermont, N. H. Simon Wells and wife Martha, now of New Gloucester. 1798. Major John Burnam to the church to be formed at Londonderry, N. H.

DISMISSIONS FROM THE HAMLET CHURCH

1773. Samuel Dike to Bridgewater. 1774. Captain Joseph Cummings to Topsfield. 1784. Abraham Cummings to Medford.

A FEW OF THE EMIGRANTS TO IPSWICH,
NOT OTHERWISE MENTIONED AS SUCH

1703. Mr. Nathaniel Shepard, from Lynn; married Elizabeth Wade. 1706. Mr. Thomas Hammon. 1708.

Page 83

Mr. Theophilus Cotton; married Elizabeth, widow of Andrew Diamon, who was an Eliot of Boston. 1723. Doct. John Perkins from Boston. 1731. Leonard Cotton taught school at Chebacco; had sons baptized at the Hamlet, 1732-4. 1747. E.A. Holyoke begins to study medicine under Doct. Thomas Berry. He left for Salem in 1749. 1748. Doct. John Calef. 1771. Mr. John Rogers and wife Abigail from Reading. 1775. Mr. Wm. McKean from Boston, whither he returns, 1783. 1789. Doct. Parker Clark from Newburyport; married Elizabeth Wainwright. Doct. Samuel Adams from Killingly, Conn. He married Abigail, daughter of Wm. Dodge; removed to Bath, Me., 1798.

EDUCATION

No doubt but that the primitive settlers of Ipswich had their children taught as soon as they had taken possession of its soil. They were deeply impressed with the importance of having the young well educated, as a main support of the political and religious liberty, for which they had exchanged the joys of their native home, for the perils, uncertainties, and toils of a wilderness. They judged, and correctly so, that of the two, a portion in virtuous knowledge and in wealth, the former was of much greater value.
GRAMMAR SCHOOL. On the records of this school there is the following note, though it has the appearance of having been copied. 1636. "A Grammar School is set up, but does not succeed."
521651, Jan. 11th. The town give all the "Neck beyond Chebacco River and the rest of the ground up to Gloucester line," to the Grammar School. They choose five Trustees of this donation. 16th. This land is leased to John Cogswell, jr., and his heirs and assigns for ever, for £14 a year; i. e. £4 in butter and cheese, £5 in pork and beef, £5 in corn, at the current price.
51652, Jan. 26th. "For the better aiding of the schoole and the affaires thereof, Mr. Samuel Symonds, Mr. Nathaniel Rogers, Mr. John Norton, Major Daniel Den-

Page 84

nison, Mr. Robert Paine, Mr. William Paine, Mr. Wm. Hubbard, Dea. John Whipple, and Mr. Wm. Bartholomew, weare chosen a committee to receive all such sums of money, as have and shall be given toward the building or maintaining of a Grammar schoole and schoole master, and to disburse and dispose such sums as are given to provide a schoole house and schoole master’s house, either in buildings, or purchasing the same house with all convenient speed, and such sums of money, parcels of land, rentes or annuities, as are or shall be given towards the maintenance of a schoole master, they shall receive and dispose of to the schoole master, that they shall call or choose to that office from time to time, towards his maintenance, which they shall have power to enlarge by appointing from yeare to yeare what each scholler shall yearly or quarterly pay or proportionably, who shall allso have full power to regulate all matters concerning the schoole master and schollers, as in their wisdome they thinke meet from time to time, who shall allso consider the best way to make provission for teaching to write and cast accounts." Mr. Wm. Hubbard gives an acre of land to the school.
1653. Robert Paine gives the use of a dwelling-house and two acres of land to the master. He had built a school-house and given it to the feoffees.
1660. Wm. Paine left by will Little Neck for the same object.
1661. The barn erected by Ezekiel Cheever, and the orchard planted by him, were, after his removal to Charlestown, bought by the feoffees and presented for the use of the master or otherwise.
1662. The town vote to have the persons for ordering the school increased to nine.
1665. The school-house having been repaired, was plastered or "daubed with clay."
1683, Oct. 4th. Robert Paine and his wife Elizabeth give the house and land for the school, to the town.
1696, March 24th. The town grant the school ten acres of marsh at Castle Neck for the house belonging to the school, "seeing it was declared, at a general town-meeting formerly upon division of Plumb and Hog islands, every house should have a lot."
1705. About this year, the school begins to be taught in the town-house, and so continues till 1794.

Page 85

1714, April 8th. Committees of the town and the feoffees agree, that the town add £25 to the income of the Grammar School and have it a free school, where scholars may be taught in English Studies, as well as fitted for college.
1718, May 8th. Voted that each scholar shall pay 20s. and what this falls short of £60, the town will make up for one year.
1720, March 8th. The town, having become dissatisfied with the small rent, which was paid by the heirs of John Cogswell for the school farm, are about commencing a suit against them. The Rev. Messrs. John Rogers and Jabez Fitch excuse themselves, as feoffees, from having any thing to do with this suit, because they deem it unjust.
1723. The town offer the tenants of the farm, that if they will support the school-master, nothing further shall be done.
1726. The town appear to have ceased from the prosecution and agree to take £14 a year, as previously.
1734. They petition the General Court for a grant of some unappropriated lands, for the use of the school. It was not allowed.
1756, Jan. 22d. The town propose to petition the legislature with the four feoffees, who had the right to appoint their successors, that there be no more than four feoffees, who shall belong to Ipswich and resign if moving away, and that the town choose three of their eldest selectmen, not of the feoffees, to act with them in regulating the school rents. This appears to have been granted.
1761, March 26th. According to a petition of the feoffees, the General Court give them leave to sell about twenty-four acres of land at Brush and Bartholomew hills, Burch Island and Chebacco woods, for the benefit of the school.
1794. About this time, the present school-house was erected by proprietors.
1828, Sept. 19th. On application of the South District, the feoffees voted, that if they will finish the unfinished part of the Grammar School-house, so as to accommodate both schools, and be at half the expense of repairs, and leave it in a proper condition, they shall have a lease of the lower room for twenty-one years. These conditions were complied with. Owing to the increased salary of teachers, the Grammar School has not been kept since 1818, so steadily, and of course has not been so useful of late years, as it was formerly. It would

Page 86

be matter of high satisfaction, if a school so ancient, which received the prayers, charities, and exertions of some, who were among the best of our fathers, could, in some proper way, be kept open constantly, and thereby add to the number of our publicly educated men.
Income of the Grammar School. 1797. $139.66,3. 1815. $205.78,4. 1826. $165.23-1/3. 1831. $163.61.
Teachers of the Grammar School. 1650, Dec. 30th. Ezekiel Cheever, to Nov. 1660.
1662, Aug. 1st. Thomas Andrews; died 1683.
1683. Noadiah Russel; left February 18th, 1687, to preach at Middleton, Connecticut, where he was ordained.
1702. Daniel Rogers, probably began after Mr. Russel left, and seems to have continued till 1716.
1716, Feb. 16th. Ebenezer Gay, salary £56.
1717, June 4th. Benjamin Crocker, £80 O. T., to 1726. Recommenced 1746, £120 O. T., to 1753, and again 1759 to 1761.
1726, May 29th. Henry Wise, to June 20th, 1728, £55.
1729, June 20th. Thomas Norton, jr., to 1740.
1740. Daniel Staniford, to March 1746.
1753. John Dennis, left 1754 to preach at Charlestown, New Hampshire.
1755, May 6th. Samuel Wigglesworth, jr., of the Hamlet, to May 2d, 1759.
1761, April 20th. Joseph How. Salary £33 6s. 8d.
1762, May 17th. Daniel Noyes, £46 13s. 4d., to 1774, and May 24th, 1780, to 1781.
1774, April 15th. Thomas Burnam 4th, £50, to 1779. 1785, Nov. 28th, to 1792 and part of 1793. 1806, April 11th, to 1818.
1779, April 5th. Nathaniel Dodge, to 1780, and a short time in 1785.
1781, Oct. 18th. Jacob Kimball, to 1783.
1783. Rev. John Treadwell, to 1785.
1792, April. Daniel Dana, to 1793, £65.
1793, Aug. 8th. Joseph Dana, to 1794.
1794, July 24th. Joseph McKean, to 1796, £80.
1796, May 3d. Samuel Dana, to 1800.
1800, March 25th. Amos Choate, to 1806.
ENGLISH FREE SCHOOLS. These have long been one of the highest hopes of our land. Without them the breath of

Page 87

liberty would cease. They have been nurseries, where the children of poverty have learned their mental power, and prepared to enjoy the high stations of their free government. Such schools deserve the fostering care of State Legislatures. They should never be left to the cruel mercies of town or district free contributions. Even with all, that is now done to diffuse knowledge through our country, not a few towns could be pointed out, where larger boys have scarcely three months' schooling in a year. This, however, is owing in part to the subdivisions of the money so as to have a school for each principal neighbourhood. In this respect, convenience is too often and too extensively indulged, at the expense of general improvement and the public welfare.
1642, Nov. The town vote that there shall be a free school.
1650. John Cross gives an annuity of 10s. for ever, out of his farm, and conditionally £100, for use of this school.
1664, March 15th. Voted to invite Mr. Andrews to come and instruct.
1696, June 15th. As Nathaniel Rust, jr., taught at Chebacco last summer, and they wish him to settle as their master, he is granted a quarter of an acre of land to set his house on, and they are granted six acres for the use of their school.
1702, July 9th. Chebacco is allowed to set a school-house on the common.
1713, Oct. 13th. William Giddings is chosen schoolmaster by Chebacco Parish.
1714, April 8th. The town vote to have a children’s school in the watch-house.
1719. The same place is occupied to teach reading, writing, and cyphering.
1730, March 10th. The Hamlet vote to build a school-house in their centre. March 30th. The town vote £100 to pay three schoolmasters, who are to teach reading and writing in the First, South, Chebacco, and Hamlet parishes. Oct. 30th. Joseph Secomb is chosen to instruct at the Hamlet.
1724, March 3d. William Stone, an aged man, who had taught some, is allowed to have a room in the alms-house to instruct youth in reading and writing.
1731, March. Leonard Cotton keeps school at Chebacco.

Page 88

1732, March 14th. Henry Spillar is allowed a room in the alms-house for teaching youth to read, write, and cypher. This was done because a vote had been passed, that no school should be kept in the town-house.
1734. Henry Spillar, having served the town by keeping school, being past bodily labor, and having a helpless son over thirty, desires aid, and is granted £15.
1740, March 4th. Voted £150, including school rents, for the use of a grammar, reading, and writing school, and that Chebacco and Hamlet Parishes draw their part. This connecting of the school for the languages with one for English studies had been done previously. For a long period, the phrase, Grammar School, meant only a place to prepare youth in Latin and Greek for College.
1741, March 11th. Mr. Samuel Langdon had recently kept school at the Hamlet.
1742. Voted that £18 O. T. of school rents be allowed to Chebacco, the same to the Hamlet, and £28 to parts of the First Parish, which have no benefit from the Grammar School. 18th. Each scholar is to pay 3d. a week in new-emission money.
1756, March 11th. Voted that the reading and writing schoolmaster be employed three months and a half at Chebacco, the same at the Hamlet, two in the West Parish, and three in the two town parishes.
1757. The Hamlet vote that scholars find the wood and the master’s board. This became a custom among them. It served to prolong the instruction of their children. It was public spirit worthy to be imitated. It lasted about twenty years.
1761. Land is given to Chebacco for a school-house near Lime Kiln. £250 are raised for the schools.
1768. The centre, west, and east parts of the Hamlet, draw their school money separately, so that they begin to have three schools instead of the one near the meeting-house.
1769. £100 are voted for reading and writing schools.
1771, Feb. 11th. Voted that Mr. John Dennis be the reading and writing master on the north of the river, at ten dollars a month.
1773. £140 for reading and writing schools.
1774, Feb. 8th. The commoners vote that all their income

Page 89

of lands, clam-flats, and interest money, after charges are paid, be applied for the use of the schools in the different parishes, according to their Province tax. Such beneficence was continued.
1783. £140 for reading and writing schools. 1784. The town grant lands for a school house, beginning at the corner of Joseph Fowler’s lane.
1785. For reading and writing schools, seven years from this, the cost was £160 annually.
1794 to 1796, £230. 1797 to 1801, $766-2/3. 1802, $900. 1810, $1200. 1820, $1000 annually for such schools.
1823, April 7th. As Wm. Burley, Esq., of Beverly, deceased, a native of Ipswich, had left by will, that fifty dollars of his estate should be paid annually for ten years, to this town for the instruction of poor children in reading and the principles of the Christian religion, the inhabitants pass a vote expressive of their respect for his memory.
1833. $1200 are raised for town schools. Besides this, several hundreds are paid each year for private schools.
RULES. 1740. The selectmen are to visit the schools quarterly.
1792. Voted, "that in both schools of the town parishes, the Catechism of the Assembly of Divines with Dr. Watts’s explanatory notes, and the Catechisms by the same author, be constantly used as much as three or four times a week, according to the different grades of the scholars, until the same are committed to memory." This practice lasted till 1826.
REPORT OF SCHOOLS. 1811, March 12th. This is given of them all, except those of the North and the N. North districts, as follows. Southeast district, one hundred and six scholars; at the Falls, one hundred and seven; North, eighty-three; (these three belonged to Chebacco;) Southeast, fifty-eight; Argilla, thirty; Southwest, thirty-five; South, forty-three; Middle, seventy-three; Line Brook, forty-six, — 581. The studies were spelling, reading, writing, arithmetic, and for a few, grammar.
1833. There are eight hundred scholars from four to fourteen. Besides the preceding studies, Geography and History have been pursued in the schools by the larger pupils.

Page 90

PROGRESS OF COMMON EDUCATION. There is a marked difference between the means of learning now and those possessed by the first settlers of Ipswich. Though the greater part of them were noted for intelligence, yet, taken together, they fell far short of the attainments in knowledge, acquired by the same number in our day. Three quarters of a century back, a large part of the wills left by men, some of whom had considerable property, were signed with a cross. This remark was still more applicable to the wills of females, though some of them were wealthy and respectable. Such facts were not peculiar to the people of Ipswich. They existed in all sections of our country. Till about 1769, it was an unheard-of thing for girls to be instructed here by a master. They learned to read and sew of school dames, and this was, for the most part, the height of their ambition. Since our Independence, education has quickened its previously slow progress. Writing, for forty years back, has been a much more general acquisition, than it had been for the same period before. Very seldom can young people now be found among us, who are obliged to make their mark. Arithmetic, though always attended to by some males, has been commonly learned by them within the last forty years. The same branch has been limitedly, though increasingly, studied by females for twenty years past. A quarter of a century back, grammar, and, fifteen years since, geography, began to be learned in some of our town schools. They have annually grown in favor with children and their parents. As our schools improve, so do the teachers employed in them. He, who could once astonish the village with the display of his "little learning," and pass for a Solomon-like instructor, would now be far excelled by many members of our lowest schools. Not only do our teachers advance in knowledge, but some of them follow their business conscientiously and understandingly; and, while they cultivate the intellectual powers of their pupils, do not forget that they have souls, that they have moral affections to be improved. Let the guardians of this community exercise vigilance in the selection of well educated and well principled instructors; let them be careful as to the advancement of scholars, and the increase of support for their schools, and Ipswich will still keep pace with her equals, and hold the reputable rank she has long sustained.
BURLEY FUND. 1825, May 25th. It is voted by the town,

<--Previous   Next-->

© 2005 by John Slaughter